2wd to 4wd swap

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So ive been thinking bout possibly finding a front axle a T-case and all the goodies and swapping 4wd in to my Pickem up. And i have a few questions, the first one being am i limited to a Dana 60? Are there any other options besides that? Second, Does anyone know what front end came in a 1990 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban? my neighbor has one and they are thinking of selling it and if i can use the parts ill buy it and use em. Also what are some tips and tricks that some of you more experienced guys have run into on something like this?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm doing this same thing right now so I tell You what I gathered so far. Dana 60 is the best and stronger option, I got a 95 psd DRW donor. Also You can get a 4x4 tranny or if You are like Me get a divorced np205 driver side drop. The chevy I think are pass drop.
Also You want it to ride well, in My case I'm considering to buy a sky reverse shackle kit and I will have to box the frame to get this one to fit right.
I will be drilling lots of holes since My frame does not have the 4x4 holes for the brackets so I got a step drill bit.

Hope this saves You some searching.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that burbon has a d44 how many bolts does it have on the diff cover and you shoud check ut pirate4x4.com

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I've never done a one-ton truck, but i have built a few 1-ton Broncos and Jeeps. I also own a 2wd dually CC that is just begging for a 4x4 conversion, so here's my .02.

For sure use a dually Dana 60. It will handle the weight of your diesel and was designed to be loaded with torque. My preference would be to use coil springs and radius arms like the newer F-350's use. The ride quality would be better, especially if you are used to a 2wd. An extra beefy trac-bar will be required. You may be able to keep the ride height lower using coils.

The divorced 205 would work and you keep the option of adding a 2wd type overdrive. Not sure what the linkage would end up looking like? It might be kinda long.

Make sure the front end you choose has gears available that match your rear axle. And be sure to post lots of pics!:thumbsup:

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I've never done a one-ton truck, but i have built a few 1-ton Broncos and Jeeps. I also own a 2wd dually CC that is just begging for a 4x4 conversion, so here's my .02.

For sure use a dually Dana 60. It will handle the weight of your diesel and was designed to be loaded with torque. My preference would be to use coil springs and radius arms like the newer F-350's use. The ride quality would be better, especially if you are used to a 2wd. An extra beefy trac-bar will be required. You may be able to keep the ride height lower using coils.

The divorced 205 would work and you keep the option of adding a 2wd type overdrive. Not sure what the linkage would end up looking like? It might be kinda long.

Make sure the front end you choose has gears available that match your rear axle. And be sure to post lots of pics!:thumbsup:

Its funny how you mention the ride quality cause im more used to riding around in my stepdads Leaf sprung PSD, and My good friends '74 F-250 Hiboy, both of which require you to go less then 5 mph over a speed bump or you will smash your head in to the roof LOL

But anyways, I have yet to get a chance to check out the front axle on the truck, but i do know its there and it works. Im just in the gathering ideas stage right now, i havent decided if i want to build a crawler down the road or just swap 4wd in to it, and throw a little lift and some 35s under it and call it a day. I still want her to be a reliable comfortable truck, cause i dont want to thave to keep drving my Krista(My Chevelle) all the time. So like i said im just gathering thoughts and ideas at this time.

Oh and ocnorb dont worry when i do get started i will take plenty of pics ;Sweet

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
i checked the amount of bolts on the front end today and IIRC there are 10 bolts holding the front cover on

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If you're talking bout your F250, you can use a REVERSE rotation Dana 44 TTB, a Dana 50 TTB, a solid Dana 44 or a Solid Dana 60, or any thing that you want, I personaly want a Dana 70 front, but they're hard to find and expensive. The Dana 44 TTB and Dana 50 TTB were stock options for your 87 so would be the easiest. I'm going to pick up a parts truck and start my 4x4 conversion next week, if you want I'll take pictures, I'm using a Dana 50 TTB.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Been there, done that and got the t-shirt....D60 is the way to go, damn near bullet proof....I built my 2wd F250 into a 4wd with a divorced NP205 and swapped the auto for a 2wd 5spd....If you would have seen how much wet, heavy snow I plowed between last night and today you would be loving the 205 and D60....No fear of breaking **** - just point and go....A few customers watched in disbelief as my IDI screamed with snow piling up higher than the hood but the old pig just kept pushing....LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Something to consider as well. It depends on what you're gonna do with the truck. If it's mainly gonna be a street driver as opposed to an off-roader, you could probably get a Dana 44 8 bolt for the front out of a 70's F-250. I love Dana 60's as much as anybody else but up here it's hard finding one for under $1,000. I can snag up 44's for $100 a piece. There more than capable of holding up the front of the truck. I've never done it with Ford's but I've converted a couple Chevy's (or is it Chevies) to 4WD using 44's. Costs next to nothing and is plenty capable for everything I needed out of them. Just get a 4x4 tranny and t-case combo out of a wrecked truck, pick up an axle (preferably with the leaf springs and hangers) and a driveshaft and you're rockin'.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have never had any trouble with any of my trucks with the 44 ttb they do everything i want and i do some pretty serious off roding every now and then, im sure in some ways D60 is better but i like whats in my truck now, i might build one some day with a D60

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Suburban should have a 10 bolt front, you can tell by the "ears" hanging from the lower sides of the pig. I would use Ford stuff for shear simplicity. Get the most stuff that will "bolt in" as possible to cut down on the custom fab. I don't know if there's a HP Dana 44 with the correct perch spacing for one of these "late model" wide frame trucks. You may have to make your own spring hangers and such.
Travis..

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I don't know if there's a HP Dana 44 with the correct perch spacing for one of these "late model" wide frame trucks.

A cutting torch and a welder is all you would need to move those spring perches right where you need them! :sly

Dumb question (I'm a Chevy guy so I don't know squat about Ford parts interchangeability) but what year trucks had a solid axle for the 3/4 ton? Just the 70's trucks or did the early 80's trucks have them as well?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you could use a chevy front axle, because it's a right hand drop, as our trucks are a left hand. I guess you could if you put in a matching t-case. eeeww, that would look weird under ford, a right hand drop axle.......