$260 86 Ford F350 Build

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
Hi I am new here but not to IDI Diesels I have worked on them professionally for about 10 years now. This is a great site.

Got this off of Craigs list for $260 delivered to my house. Plan is to build a flat bed on the back to put the Jeep on.

Specs 86 Ford f350 dually with an 11ft frame from the back of the cab to the end of the frame.
6.9 N/A diesel
T19 4 spd

Had been sitting on non op since 2007.
Slapped two batteries in and spent an hour or so priming it. Had to take the top of the injection pump off to fill it full of atf as everything was a little sticky.
Got it fired up Sunday and it is starting to run pretty good.

Maintenance on this truck has been kept up really good haven't found anything worn or needing replacement yet. Brakes and drive train all look good. A local construction co. was the P/O and they took the bed off to put on a newer truck with A/C.

So far I have got the frame cleaned up and painted and the rims cleaned up and painted.Hope to start on the bed this weekend.

Any suggestions on building a flat bed would be appreciated.

I was thinking 4" C channel for the outside rails and headache bar with 2X3 cross braces every foot followed by 2X6 wood for the deck unless I can get a deal on some 1/8" diamond plate.

In the future I may swap in a 6bt 12valve

You must be registered for see images

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Nice find and for the price you did very well. The rig looks as clean inside as it does outside and under the hood. T bed will be easy yo find for it.... Check the pick a parts for a dually bed. I see them all the time in the yard out in Ontairo Ca...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Something you should do now before any bed is fitted on is pull the fuel tank pickups. Usually they are broken off. Most of us have just added some fuel rated hose to the pickups. Also you can do the tank filler modifications now much easier because the bed isn't in the way....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site. stop for a while and hang onto your wallet. we're here to help you spend your money:D
The first step in building your bed for the truck is figuring out the frame length you will need. what you have there is not long enough. 60% of your bed length of whatever you choose needs to be forward of the rear axle towards the cab. so....with a 12 ft flatbed, 8ft of it needs to be between the rear axle and the cab. this is done so you can keep as much weight between the front and rear axles.
like I said.....we're here to help:eek:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
all the pics are red "X" i love seeing truck build ups

swuchase1

Reaction score
like ICANFIXALL said with fuel tanks, also check fuel gauge sender make sure they are working. What 2-way raido is that in it raido looks like you may have scored you may be able to use in the Jeep we use kenwood 271 with a MOD done to them for off roading worth looking into

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
welcome to the site. stop for a while and hang onto your wallet. we're here to help you spend your money:D
The first step in building your bed for the truck is figuring out the frame length you will need. what you have there is not long enough. 60% of your bed length of whatever you choose needs to be forward of the rear axle towards the cab. so....with a 12 ft flatbed, 8ft of it needs to be between the rear axle and the cab. this is done so you can keep as much weight between the front and rear axles.
like I said.....we're here to help:eek:

It is 7ft from the cab to center of axle. Plan building the bed 11ft long by 7ft wide.

like ICANFIXALL said with fuel tanks, also check fuel gauge sender make sure they are working. What 2-way raido is that in it raido looks like you may have scored you may be able to use in the Jeep we use kenwood 271 with a MOD done to them for off roading worth looking into

The radio is a motorola gtx trunked mobile radio. I know nothing about these but was wandering what could be done with it.

I will be checking the tanks thoroughly.

Me and my co worker where thinking of possibly doing dual three inch stacks coming out behind the cab through the bed. But I am worried about how loud it would be. If I ran some 3" donaldson type mufflers with chrome heat shields it may be ok but still not sure yet.

swuchase1

Reaction score
The radio is a motorola gtx trunked mobile radio. I know nothing about these but was wandering what could be done with it.
Trunked is a whole new game sorry raidos off-road are a must you can get them pretty cheap go to HAM RAIDO OUTLET AND CHECK THEM OUT LOOK AT TM-271

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's insane! What idiot gives away a truck for that kind of money? Certainly you are lucky in any event, but sadly everything you do to this truck will easily cost you more than that. BTW, talking cummins swap in your first post is not socially acceptable in this forum, unless you want to give away the engine that's in it to someone more deserving. ;Really

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this off of Craigs list for $260 delivered to my house.
Holy Toledo Batman!:eek: That's a great deal!!!!

In the future I may swap in a 6bt 12valve
:puke::backoff
Not that! Keep the 6.9, turbo it and enjoy. If you absolutely have to swap in a inline 6, 5.9L, make it an IH DT360. A better option in my opinion.

Heath

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
Dont worry I am still a long way from a motor swap. I have been pretty good at N/A tuning in the past. I had another 86 that outran most improperly setup turbo rigs of the same vintage.

Yeah pretty much everything is going to cost more than the truck its self. The tags/registration alone is like $247 and that is with a non-op on it so no back fees.

The bed looks like it will cost around $600 to build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online