2010 IDI Rally Blog and Truck Died

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrote a little reminder about the 2010 IDI Rally.

www.dieselpowermag.com

Is this a common problem?

When I start my truck in the morning it runs fine until just before it switches from the high idle mode. A few seconds before it switches to 750 rpm from 1000 rpm is goes rahh rahhh rahhhh rahhhh and then bang it goes to 750 rpm.

Its been doing that for awhile and I thought nothing of it. Well I was nervous. But today when it was about to switch to low idle it went

rahh rahhhh rahhh rahhh and dadadad dead

It wouldn't start. The light turned green and people started honking. Eventually two people came out of their cars and helped me push it to the side. I cranked some more and nothing. I unscrewed the filter and fuel gushed out. I screwed it bakc in and it started right up. No problems. It always runs good right when I start it and after its warmed up. The only problem is just before it switches off the high idle. It surges usually goes away except for today.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder is there is some short betweem the fuel shut off solenoid and the fast idle solenoid?

Jason, it's good to hear from you. How are things going over at Diesel Power? Thanks a bunch for posting about the Rally in the Blog. I really hope you can make it to the 2010 Rally. If you are still wanting to do something on the 2009 Rally I hosted in Bowling Green, just let me know.

Heath

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things are good and busy at Diesel Power. Great idea. We could revisit 2009 and then introduce 2010. Writing about the event will be easy the hard part is getting awesome photos. We need about 4 really good/interesting photos.

Would it be possible for the IDI community to come up with 4 sweet photos?

They need to be high res 1.0MB or bigger. Gotta be exciting or illuminating. Not fuzzy. Or blown out.

Send to [email protected]

I can never figure the photobuckets and etc out. Too many codes and stuff.

An IDI timing article would be sweet. Have any of you guys tried writing free lance for a magazine? Just don't take my job. Please.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
hay jason, how have you been? thank you for the blog spot ;Sweet. i hope you can make it to this years rally. it would be great to meet you and put a face to your name.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could do that timing article if you want. I've written for magazines before. Maybe some folks have decent pictures of me doing the clinics at the rallies. I know Darrin had some, and there were some from this year too. Just need to get them in an original format, and not off a photosharing web site.

With regard to your problem, try disconnecting the cold idle advance solenoid on top of the IP. This way, we can get more info on if it is just the movement of the govenor linkage causing the problem, or a fuel presure/timing advance problem.

Last edited:

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about an article/test/review of the moose pump and injectors? I'd like to see some actual before/after dyno numbers from them.

I'm going to do a writeup on setting timing using the ferret adapter and adjustable timing light. I don't know if it will be good enough for a magazine, but it should be good for the site.

mR

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Jason... Good to see you posting again. Your problem sounds like its either electrical like Mel posted or its the injection pump itself... How many miles are on the pump and do you run any fuel additive?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Things are good and busy at Diesel Power. Great idea. We could revisit 2009 and then introduce 2010. Writing about the event will be easy the hard part is getting awesome photos. We need about 4 really good/interesting photos.

Would it be possible for the IDI community to come up with 4 sweet photos?

They need to be high res 1.0MB or bigger. Gotta be exciting or illuminating. Not fuzzy. Or blown out.

Send to [email protected]

I can never figure the photobuckets and etc out. Too many codes and stuff.

An IDI timing article would be sweet. Have any of you guys tried writing free lance for a magazine? Just don't take my job. Please.

Hey Jason, Like Mel said, I do have some pics of the Rally, but none that really stand out to be magazine worthy. I am not a photographer.
That said Here is a link to them on webshots.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/573382906oqAuzj

If you see any that will work for you, let me know what ones and I will e-mail them to you. Most of them are pretty high res and around 1MB.

Thanks ;Sweet

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let's all take alot of pics at this years rally, there's bound to be at least 4 good ones

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason, if I get time over the holiday, I'll see what I can find as far a photo's go and I'll email you. I still have your 2009 Rally T-shirt as well. Do you just want me to ship if to the DP address?

Did you find out what was up with your truck?

Heath

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good.

Here's a question for the IDI community.

If there was just one image to capture the "IDI fix up market" what would it look like?

Oilburners.net Magazine how about it?

A Moose Pump and injector article would be great.

I'm getting ready to put a Snow Performance Wath/**** kit on.

The truck ran fine today. I think I'll try and unplug the high idle connection on top of the IP pump and see if the surging goes away.

I've used a few different additives but nothing on a regular basis. I make sure to add something whether its a bit of oil, used vegetable oil from my kitchen, or biodiesel (before it was made illegal here in Los Angeles). I've heard biodiesel is the best additive for lubricity.

Looking forward to wearing the T-shirt:

Diesel Power ATTN:Jason Thompson
831 S. Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool man, I'll ship it your way.

As far as the image of the IDI aftermarket support....... It's a drop in a large bucket. Trust me.........we're hungry for more....... we just need someone to feed us, but I'm afraid we're a bit malnourished God bless ATS, Hypermax, and Banks for still having a turbo kit for these IDI's. But, we are the forgoten red-headed step child of the diesel truck community, kept in the basement so we can't bother the "normal" or "real" diesel trucks.:backoff We'd all love to see more IDI support in the aftermarket, but it's just not there.

Shoot, the sad truth is...... most "Diesel Truck Enthusiats" have no idea that Ford made a diesel before the "Powerstroke" nor do they have a clue what IDI means.

We love'm even if they aren't the newest, cleanest, or most powerful diesel out there.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good.

Here's a question for the IDI community.

If there was just one image to capture the "IDI fix up market" what would it look like?

That sounds like an impossible question. I'd have to say it would be an 86' F-250 standard cab 4X4 pulling a boat up a mountain grade, while passing a broken down powerstroke being loaded onto Duramax roll back. LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That sounds like an impossible question. I'd have to say it would be an 86' F-250 standard cab 4X4 pulling a boat up a mountain grade, while passing a broken down powerstroke being loaded onto a Mid 80s diesel cornbinder roll back. LOL

There, I fixed it for you Mel :D