snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, the knock is right below your feet, can't really feel it, but that is where it sounds like it is coming from.... mine is worse if only one side hits the bump, like a pothole, it does not do it on something like a (don't)speed bump. I think the "side loading" on the axle is what makes mine make noise....

As for mileage, I am just under 98,000. So it is still just a young fella, not even broken in yet.....

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes mine had clunked the entire time i have had it...4 years now? it's annoying but it's not a safety issue so i never did anything about it. i'll fix it this year though since i am planning to keep this truck a while longer and it has been put off long enough.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
This clunking noise, would you guys think thats what is goin on on my 99? It does a clunkin noise too when i hit bumps. Seems like the ball joints are good and tight.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah, look under the truck at the sway bar behind the front axle. the links at each end and the bushings where the sway bar attaches to the axle go bad. the result is metal on metal contact as the front axle flexes.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Just another 155K and you'll catch my buddy whos still on the stock tranny and runs it like a rapped ape although he did have to put a new tq converter in it

LOL I'm the buddy he was talking about! The only complaint I have is 2nd gear is mushy in that old trans, downshifts fine shifting into is the problem at times. Guess I might need to think about a shift kit for it!:peelout

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
;Sweet Rob :cheers:...but in the end, isn't that why we burn oil :D

My OBS is over 300k and even tho WW has been driving it to work the past couple years, it has just become a taxi for running me to the airport every 4 weeks LOL

And sadly [or fortunately] I am no longer running 700 mi a week dragging that welding trailer around jobsites and beating the brakes off it :angel:

Good fortune with it and here's to another 200k :cheers:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
LOL I'm the buddy he was talking about! The only complaint I have is 2nd gear is mushy in that old trans, downshifts fine shifting into is the problem at times. Guess I might need to think about a shift kit for it!:peelout

mine does that too, i think it's the TC slipping as it locks up. trans itself seems to shift fine but TC it weak.

if i ever open the trans up again i'll be upgrading the TC to a multi disk unit.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I did the pump mod last time I repalced the TC in mine. That was the second TC so maybe I will go with the Tugger to see if it helps the shift into 2nd gear. LOL Now anyone have the link to get tugger shift kit so I dont have to try to do a forum search????

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I did the pump mod last time I repalced the TC in mine. That was the second TC so maybe I will go with the Tugger to see if it helps the shift into 2nd gear. LOL Now anyone have the link to get tugger shift kit so I dont have to try to do a forum search????

It should clear up any issues with second gear shift. Providing there is no other issues with second gear. You will have to play with the hole in the calibration plate. Always drill the hole to the small side. You can always go bigger.

This gut has the kit. www.racerxautomotive.com ;Sweet

This guy has the kit too. www.transmissionpartsusa.com ;Sweet

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the sway bar end links - fixed that clunk - I could move the bar up and down an inch by hand. Shop around for those end links - I got prices from $31 all the way up over $70 each. I got my for $31 - Dorman parts from napa with my discount. I had to cut down the bolt for the upper mount to get it to clear the starter on the pass side, driver side went in no sweat. Quick repair on these trucks - it's nice not having to jack up a vehicle to work underneath it! ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance