2006 expedition build

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-I'm not sure you'll want to/be able to put hydro on that. New vehicles have a much more robust braking system than the old ones and it may mess with the ABS as well. I've had issues in the past modifying brake systems (different master cylinders/adding disc brakes, etc). Just a head's up.
Pretty sure all ABS systems work on pressure /after/ the master cylinder, not before it. As long as you put the hydroboost unit behind the stock master cylinder, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

And just to point out - master cylinders are designed differently for drum and disk brakes. You can't(shouldn't) swap them; if you put in disks instead of drums somewhere, you need a matching master cylinder.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love this! I am just a few miles down the road in Gates NC. Send me a PM I might have some parts you could use.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
I don't trust the vacuum pump to work the booster that's on the truck now. So the hydro has to go in.

The only affordable controller I found was the quick 4 by BE. I called and talked to a tech it won't be plug and play but seems like it will get me close and I can play with the shift points after that.

When I get to the gauges I post alot of pics. I've built 5 gauge panels for previous trucks and the Navy was kind enough to teach me more than I ever care to know about gauges.

The block should be completely clean tomorrow. This is the first time I get to use my new snap on soda blaster. Works great the passenger side is almost done with 1 little bag of soda. I pick up more tomorrow and finish cleaning I'll post pics after.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
I did a little research this morning on registering the expedition. I don't know about other states but Virginia allows you to register a highly modified vehicle as a reconstructed vehicle.

Reconstructed Vehicle
Any vehicle that has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition, or substitution of new or used essential parts. (VA Code § 46.2-100)

It costs 125$ and requires an inspection by by a state trooper. They give the vehicle a new Vin number that allows it to be inspected and registered for what it is. I have a buddy at work that did it he said it was an easy process and took about 2 weeks. I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone thinking of a swap like this. I included the link to the states website below. It contains all the required paperwork to register it.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#reconstructed.asp

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But does it still have to pass that vehicle’s original emissions? I understand your area is lax on that as is mine, just would like to know for others who may try to do something similar

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they assign it a new VIN it essentially is a different vehicle than it was before so I don’t know what they do there.

@F350camper

This is pertinent if you decide to go through with your original plans.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
I called and talked to the state police (they control inspections in Virginia) and the DMV to get more information. As far as the title goes the truck will be registered as the year of the body most likely. You can try to register as the year the motor was built but the lady I talked to says there is a 50/50 chance of that happening. The trooper said if you get it registered for the year of the engine your good. Just don't remove any emissions crap that was on it and you'll pass. If they choose to register it as the later model you go into 1 of 2 situations.
1. No emissions testing only visual- it has to look like you have the equipment required for that year. He also said that emissions equipment has changed so much in the last 20 years that the chance anyone would know exactly what was required other than a cat 2004 and newer, an obd II port with no errors 2007 and newer(these were phased in from 2004 to 2007) and dpf 2008 and newer. Were slim to none. He did not say this but if it just a visual it just needs to look like you have these.
2. Emissions test is required- this area sucks you have to meet the actual NOX and HC level requirements for that year. These numbers can be found on the EPA website.

EGR valve was never an actual requirement. It was something manufacturers did to reduce levels in the exhaust. But because it's part of the stock emissions system it is still illegal to remove it from an existing engine.

The DMV also told me lots of pictures during the build and of the finished truck help the approval. The truck must be completed to apply for a reconstruction title. Proof of purchase for all major components such as a bill of sale is required. A detailed write up of what you did is also required.

My recommendation is before you start a project like this you call your states inspection office and DMV and research your states requirements. Also to apply for and argue that it should be titled as the year of the engine. Since it's already built to meet the standards of that year.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I don't think NY would have anything to do with such a swap so I'll just be reading along with envy!

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Navy, I know in NC that if you get the fuel type changed on the title that even if you do get emissions tested that diesels are only required to have an opacity test. Also there is an 6.9 03 F250 on here that passed a full emissions test in Ca. With the fuel turned down and the timing set right these engines burn really clean.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
That's pretty cool that someone got a 6.9 to pass 2003 emissions but with the option to register it in Florida. For now I'm just going to stick with that.

Today I put the soda blaster to work and got the engine cleaned most of the way. Check out the before and after.
You must be registered for see images attach

ironmanavy

Reaction score
Does anybody need an under the factory turbo return line cap. PM me.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
It been a while since I posted. Mostly because paint prep sucks. I got the engine stripped to a long block.
The cylinders look amazing. No scoring you can still see the cross hatch pattern. Internally the engine looks like it might have a couple thousand miles on it.

I'm using the por15 kit so the primer is their trademark product. I got the first coat of enamel down I have to wait till tomorrow to put the 2nd. I'll post more pics after the final coat.

The black you see is the primer showing through.