2005 f250 rear end

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can't find the diff size on this truck, it's 3l axle code. Also, what do You guys use for engine oil? I use 15w40 motorcraft on My IDI, can I use the same one on this one?

I noticed the coolant reservoir on this truck overflowed and spilled fluid a dew times since it looks like white dripping marks around the reservoir, what could be the cause (this is an inter-cooled engine from factory)? I know this truck never pulled a trailer or was worked too hard.

Thank You.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I believe the rear is a 10.25
oil use 15,40
as for the puking coolant, its a 6ohno thing
sometimes caused by headgaskets, sometimes by the egr cooler. but mostly by too full of an overflow bottle.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Not sure on the axle question.

I use Rotella T 15-40 in my 6.0. As long as the oil is CI 4+ rated you're okay.

There was a TSB out on the res puking that basically said that it should not be over the MIN line. Mine puked once after running really hard, lowered the level and all has been well. This is not to say you don't have another issue but start there and see if it does it again.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the axle code 31 or 3L...Can't find anything on the 3L but 31 is 3.73 open differential which I beleive was standard on the F250

IIRC it should be a 10.5 sterling in the superduty F250 unless they changed it.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You guys, I didn't get what it is being a 10.25, I have a 10.25 on My truck I believe but I also have a 4.10 gear ratio so let Me rephrase My question, what gear ratio should I have with the code 3L? I have the owners manual but I just can't find the section where it says what that means like on My 93 owners manual. The truck is automatic tranny :puke: and it's a superdupy.

I can see a thin wet coating inside the coolant reservoir that I can't identify I was wondering if this engines need a coolant filter as well.

The head lights seem low, anyone use blue light bulbs or something to make the brighter?

Also I'd like to install towing/telescopic mirrors, the ones I got come with the turning light in them and a mirror heater so I'd like to put one with the same capabilities but the towing version.

The brakes feel a bit soft could this be air or the hydrobooster on this trucks is always like this?

...and last but not least, could someone show Me where to get some cheap upgrades like intake, etc? Maybe a tranny chip?

I know they too many questions, maybe I should start another thread for the rest of the questions I have.

Thank You.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
No one else have any tips? :confused: I guess this engine doesn't have many fans :rolleyes:

It's a popular motor, and unfortunately our 6.0 forum is not very active right now give it some time.

As for the filmy stuff in the res, I'm not sure so I won't venture a guess.

My headlights are not as bright as I'd like either but I haven't researched for a replacement yet, it is on the list.

I thought all the new SD's had the telescoping mirrors stock??

Brakes may need new pads and rotors turned, mine got a little spongy when they worn down.

For upgrades/tuners: the stock air box is actually over engineered and will do you a good job as it is, flows ton's of air and seals up nice and tight to keep all the crap outta the turbo.
Look into an SCT tuner from DP-TUNER, DJ's Diesel Performance, Bean's Diesel, or one of many other dealers. You can get custom tunes from mild to HOLY COW, just remember you will pay to play with the 6.0.

If your plan is to turn out ungodly amounts of power then be prepared for head studs, tranny issues and EGR cleaning. Somewhere in all that you'll probably want new head gaskets as well.

The list is endless, just depends on how far you want to take it and how deep your pockets are ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You for the tips, I guess it'll work out well since by the time the forum gets bussy My pockets will grow a bit more :rolleyes: . I know is not like an IDI but I've seen a powerstrocke a cople days ago that was WOW, I wish I could've get next to the driver to say OILBURNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the guy seem to be in some rush since every few feet (rush hour traffic on DC) He would floor it ad leave me behind with a :D and lots of smoke in My face (I was driving My work van). I loved the 5" exhaust too, not a tip but seem to go all the way through.

The one thing I don't like about this one is the auto tranny, everything else is great.

I will use the 15w40 motorcraft engine oil next time I change the oil on this one.

Thank You.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online