20 psi?

RedTruck

Reaction score
Flatlander

Seems to me I remember Mel saying that hypermax had a hard time feeding the IP when they built the high horsepower IDI. Maybe he remembers what their solution was.

So you can't top 20, how fast is it coming up though? Is the lag much less?

David85

We all want to see RKOCH's rig. I think we need to send him a digital camera to use for a weekend.

Paul

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Barney,

Sounds like you are breaking some more new ground ;Sweet

Here is my opinion...

Upgrade to a high volume pump like an Air Dog system or something use 1/2" fuel supply lines and see what you get. I know from talking to Ken (we all know the history there but he might be on to something) that he said when he built the pump for the pulling truck that he had to remove the vane pump and fuel pressure reg from the injection pump to get enough fuel flow to keep up. Like I said he might be on to something. who knows... your in uncharted territory so anything is possible.

Me needs to make a trip up to the fort to see your monster some day...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney,

Sounds like you are breaking some more new ground ;Sweet

he had to remove the vane pump and fuel pressure reg from the injection pump to get enough fuel flow to keep up.

Might affect driveability. Sounds like the Holley blue might be the best option. Problem will become at lower RPM's, the advance will get upset if there is too much presure. You almost need 2 pumps. One for normal use, and another for paying homage to the arabs.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Might affect driveability. Sounds like the Holley blue might be the best option. Problem will become at lower RPM's, the advance will get upset if there is too much presure. You almost need 2 pumps. One for normal use, and another for paying homage to the arabs.

Ok so here's a thought, integrate a solenoid that trips a secondary fuel source to to get that extra needed flow.
Kinda similar to what Darrin had for his propane system.:dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i doubt that truck is sucking in more than the 60 gal per hour the pump is rated for. i am sure that rating is with no fuel line restriction but still. if you dont have the fuel line sized big enough you have to overcome the flow with pressure. just like an exhaust system, got to be big enough to flow the numbers.

i could be wrong though i dont have a ton of experiance on high performance engines i am just looking at it from an engineering flow point of view. the real world can mess that all up though:D

before you go crazy though how is the fuel filter. a partially clogged one could be the restriction.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
i doubt that truck is sucking in more than the 60 gal per hour the pump is rated for. i am sure that rating is with no fuel line restriction but still. if you dont have the fuel line sized big enough you have to overcome the flow with pressure. just like an exhaust system, got to be big enough to flow the numbers.
before you go crazy though how is the fuel filter. a partially clogged one could be the restriction.

You are probably on to something with the line size. Problem is I tend to only fix things that are broken. My fuel lines are not broken. Maybe I can convince my self that too small = broken.

As it stands, I ordered a holley blue and regulator last night from summit racing. I'll keep you posted.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Can you temp up your Holley Red and a 5 gallon can in the box for a test run?

Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets just see if the holley blue does the trick. I now understand what Rkoch's rig is and what it is for for that, I think even 5-6mpg is good! If it was set up with 3.55 and enough gears it would do 15-20 just like a normal truck unless you had your foot in it all the time. But you could still black out both lanes of traffic if you floored it.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kens removing the vane pump and fuel pressure regulator is not a new trick as we tractor pullers learned years ago about removing it as it created a restriction to a hi GPM supply pump.

we tractor pullers who have been building these pumps for years and not to step on anyones toes but the science of building hi output rotary injection pumps has been around for yrs.

you want to know how to built a hot rotary pump find yourself a old school tractor puller or Deere mechanic.

Deere and a few other companys used to teach injection pump repair back in the day. Im not talking clean room, run it on a injection pump stand. It was rebuilt it on your workbench and set the calibration.

I have to laugh now because all I read is how they need to be sent to a specialized shop to be repaired....... how times and thinking has changed in 20 yrs.

just the rambling thoughts of a old Deere tech/ tractor puller.

a little bit of Ken history...... once long ago on another diesel site this topic of built pumps came up and Ken was looking to built one. After several *** with him about how and what was being done to pumps for my puller he had one built much the same.

the rest is history

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
is there any books or such on this or is it all passed on by someone in the know????

on another note in an effort to fix my fuel delivery problem i made a shim to prevent the bypass from opening up in my holley blue pump. i have a problem with the internal pump regulator kicking in and i can watch my gage go up then just drop to 1psi or less because it wont kick back in for some reason. well lets just say with that disabled it pegged and broke my 15 psi gage like yesterdays news before i could run and shut it down.

looking back i shake my head but i figured the carter pump didnt have an internal bypass so why not. moral of the story is these pump have quite the capability to move fuel.