2 trucks, 4 batteries, nothing runs

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I finally have enough movement in my right arm to do a little diagnostic work on the trucks. TDT has 1 circuit that is drawing current and killing the batteries. Of course it's the wire that powers the entire truck. I'll dig in more later.

Old Brown probably has 1 dead battery. I've charged it in the past and the next day they're dead. I threw a charge on it last night and disconnected them from each other. I'll find out which one is bad this AM.

Figures, eh?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad your starting to come around Barney. Hopefully the electrical woes will be a no brainer for you. ;Sweet

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally have enough movement in my right arm to do a little diagnostic work on the trucks. TDT has 1 circuit that is drawing current and killing the batteries. Of course it's the wire that powers the entire truck. I'll dig in more later.

Old Brown probably has 1 dead battery. I've charged it in the past and the next day they're dead. I threw a charge on it last night and disconnected them from each other. I'll find out which one is bad this AM.

Figures, eh?
I had the same problem that you are describing for TDT. I found that it was actually the alternator. The thing that threw me off was that there was still current being drawn when the alternator was unhooked but it turned out to be the memory for the CD player, I pulled fuses and when the draw went away I heard the CD player cycle when the fuse was pulled.

And on the second issue, I have had this happen on a few vehicles (tractors) before and I take aspirin broken in half and place one half in each cell of the battery, top the liquid off and give it a good charge and they are normally good again for a long time.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard for years about putting asprin in a battery, but never did because i didn't wont to build some kind of bomb or something. what exactly does the asprin do?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is supposed to break up some of the crap that forms on the plates in the battery to allow it to take and hold a charge again. I know on the Landrover that we had up until a few short month ago, it would not hold a charge at all, no matter how long I charged it, so I put half an aspirin in each cell, topped off the fluid and gave it a good long charge, and it was like new again. Before doing that I could charge the battery and even on jump start setting, it would just click the solenoid, after doing the above described process, It would start right up and never needed a jump.

If you read on the internet, a lot of people say that it doesn't work, but as long as the battery isn't total crap (been sitting out by a barn for a long time) then it will help out. I have never tried the supposed "jump start" aspirin scenerio and I am not sure if that works.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah, plain ole buffered 5gr aspirin works great. Especially on lawn tractor batteries. Save plenty of coin by the way of the aspirin.;Sweet

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barney, I must have missed something but what has happened to your arm? I am sorry to hear you've been down. Best of luck on your recovery.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Barney, I must have missed something but what has happened to your arm? I am sorry to hear you've been down. Best of luck on your recovery.

Thanks for the well wishing.

I spent 1 evening watching my son at the bmx track and decided to get back into it. 6 weeks later I crashed and broke my collarbone. I'm 5 weeks out now and ready to go back to work. Amy's ready for me to go too.