2 trucks, 2 starters in the trash

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep. What are the frickin odds???
Both my old red truck and my moms green truck with the new 6.9. Both started once today and then when we went to start them again, click CLUNK, click CLUNK!
I HATE this mitsubishi starters!!!! Complete TRASH I tell you, TRASH!
Which, ironically, is where both of them are going... Right after I run them over with a 953D CAT. Hehehe.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Um
dont do that take them for cores at autozone
thats what i do. Or send them to me so i can use my warrenty to get a new one.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad solenoid connections are usually the culprit.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I understand Russ. But wouldn't that be more if they had been sitting for like months on end before trying to go start them? Both of these trucks fired right up once today, and then they started doing this.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
bad solenoid connections are usually the culprit.

X a million. it's sad how fast i can unhook my batteries, pull connections off of the starter, clean em, and hook it all back up. man that first start.... so much power

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, you should play the lottery LOL !

Sorry for you poor luck, look at the bright side: things should get better.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. What are the frickin odds???
Both my old red truck and my moms green truck with the new 6.9. Both started once today and then when we went to start them again, click CLUNK, click CLUNK!
I HATE this mitsubishi starters!!!! Complete TRASH I tell you, TRASH!
Which, ironically, is where both of them are going... Right after I run them over with a 953D CAT. Hehehe.

when you say "click clunk" do you mean "clunk" as if something broke? or just just "click clunk" as in, it made that sound but would not turn over?
IF it was the latter, do not throw them away or even take them off - i went through that for a year with my 6.2 until i finally realized that the heat caused resistance in the wire that goes to the solenoid and i needed a heavier wire to supply enough amps to get the solenoid to engage the starter. Mine was more like "click clank" until i fixed it. Had nothing to do with the starter - but i am only guessing that is your problem and could very well be wrong.

Paul

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey Paul. I mean as in thats all the starter will do. Just make that noise. Both of them are doing the same thing. We had to jump both of them to get them to start this morning, wonder if we fried something??? Maybe that wire?
Which wire is it?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It's either bad connections, heat, or a bad solenoid. If reconnecting and cleaning your cables doesn't work, take the solenoid apart and see if the little rings are burnt. If so, you can usually replace them or rotate them. I had that same problem on several starters with my 89 firebird.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul. I mean as in thats all the starter will do. Just make that noise. Both of them are doing the same thing. We had to jump both of them to get them to start this morning, wonder if we fried something??? Maybe that wire?
Which wire is it?

since my problem was on a 6.2 and i have not yet messed with a 7.3 starter (just got truck in winter and starter was almost new) i don't know exactly how to identify it, but most likely it is the wire going from the fender relay/solenoid that activates the solenoid on the starter. The 6.2 does not come with this set up and i actually had to rig it up this way because i was having the same problem. So i made sure to use an extra large wire for the above mentioned wire.
In my case, the stock set up was to have the wire going right from the key switch to the starter solenoid and eventually the heat would prevent enough amps to flow through the old worn out wire that passes just below the exhaust manifold. It really sounds to me like you have the exact same problem, especially the fact that it happened to two trucks today.
Come to think of it, the last time this happened to me on my 6.2 before i permanently fixed it as described above, i was under the van jumping the two terminals on the starter to get it to kick over, when my friend comes up to me (on a very hot day) and says his tractor won't start, it just makes a click sound when he turns the key!! He was having the exact same problem on the same hot day - so i went over and jumped the two terminals on the starter for a second just to give the solenoid a good flow of electric and it turned over, then i went up and turned the key and it cranked as normal and started.

i really hope you haven't pulled those starters yet!

paul

sassyrel

Reaction score
as stated---it can be the smaller trip wire on the solenoid bad--or just the solenoid bad----if the starter worked good last time you turned it over--its most likely a funky solenoid---and they be mucho cheaper than a starter---but still needs to be removed to get the solenoid off---

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online