2 stage injector question

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
i've been looking at injectors for the ever present Mercedes OM617 and a popular upgrade is the VW AAZ injector.

I dont have a clear understanding from my reading if all or some of these are 2 stage, however see advantages if this is the case.

Have the IDI crowd tried this yet? I know we have some adventuerers here, and my lack of proper internet has inhibiteted my regular checking in, however my medical condition IDI OCD is still being treated with aquisition of un needed diesel engines.

Any confutions can be explained by coors brewing company...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hey I have put AAZ injectors in a 78 300D 617. It did quiet it down a bit and I noticed less smoke, just like the 1.9lAAZ vw compared to the 1.6. didn't really notice any power or economy changes worth noting. Maybe a tad better.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there two different injection points with those injectors? If so how is it accomplished?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there two different injection points with those injectors? If so how is it accomplished?
Given that we have "dumb" injectors that only inject fuel when they get a pulse of fuel from the IP, I don't see how that could be possible. I could be wrong, but AFAIK the only way you can have an injector with more than one injection per power stroke is with an electronic injector (i.e. a HEUI or common-rail injector) or an IP that sends multiple pulses per line.

DragRag

Reaction score
Given that we have "dumb" injectors that only inject fuel when they get a pulse of fuel from the IP, I don't see how that could be possible. I could be wrong, but AFAIK the only way you can have an injector with more than one injection per power stroke is with an electronic injector (i.e. a HEUI or common-rail injector) or an IP that sends multiple pulses per line.

Are you calling my injectors dumb? I will have you know they belong to Phi Beta Kappa, and they are far from dumb. :sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All idi injectors that fit these engines are purely mechanical in operation. They have a spring in them that pops open when the injection pump reaches said pop pressure. One burst of fuel per stroke to that cylinder. As posted above. Only the electronic controlled injectors on the common rails can be opened more than once per stroke. I understand the powerstroke injectors can pop as much as 6 times per combustion process.I do not know this for a fact either. I really have no interest in the psd fuel system.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Moose Misters are smarter than your honor student injectors. LOL

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

I can imagine how to make a two stage pure mechanical injector. Just a series of poppet valves, a low volume injection jet, and a higher pop high volume jet. Add a restrictor on the return side. As fuel volume increases, and the injector cannot spit off overflow, internal pressure will rise to trip the second poppet.

My question is why do it?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
where the problem stems is these injectors rely on pop pressure for timing. a 2 stage injector would need different spring rates so it would throw of the pop pressure and in turn throw off the timing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Staff online