2 glow plug relays first bypassed to 2nd

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck seems to have the glow plug relay that's mounted on the fender bypassed to one on the back of the intake manifold, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. The one near the intake manifold has some sort of solenoid in the way of removing it and I dont know if I should take it off or replace the one on the fender and bypass it the way the one on the fender was or what. Please help, thanks in advance

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
If memory serves...the GP relay sits on top of the solid state controller----it has a wavy metal plate---- the GP relay gets power from the fender mounted sol that also feeds the starter when latched by the key switch in start position.

Off that same fender mounted sol should be two {yellowish if I recall} 12 ga wires that go to the cannon plug on the right fender and from there go to the GP relay. This is a known weak link due to the current that flows thru the smallish wires and plug---trace the two wires from the fender so to the GP relay, they should be 12 hot constant--remove them from both the fender sol and GP relay and replace with some 4 ga stranded with good copper lugs soldered on...connect to GP relay FIRST then to pos side of fender mounted sol..or directly to the right battery pos terminal.

You can install a 250 amp MEGA fuse inline for peace of mind but I ran mine for years without one without issue.
Your GP's will LOVE you for doing this :D

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks but what I need to know is what is what is the soleniod looking thing that's in the way of me removing the gp relay and replacing it because I don't want to take it off until I know what it is

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the relay " looking thing " is the glow plug relay, it sits on top of the controller, they are bolted together and can come off as a unit

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
my truck seems to have the glow plug relay that's mounted on the fender bypassed to one on the back of the intake manifold, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. The one near the intake manifold has some sort of solenoid in the way of removing it and I dont know if I should take it off or replace the one on the fender and bypass it the way the one on the fender was or what. Please help, thanks in advance

Ok thanks but what I need to know is what is what is the soleniod looking thing that's in the way of me removing the gp relay and replacing it because I don't want to take it off until I know what it is

The fender mounted relay is for the "starter"---you only have 1 GP relay...mounted at the rear like you see it. It gets it's 12v constant hot power from the fender mounted "starter" sol via the 2 yellowish wires I mentioned....as well as the GP relay sits on top of the GP controller...unless you some previous owner set up wiring nightmare...pics might be helpful if that is the case.
BUT there should only be one relay at the back of the eng for the GP's

thought on edit...we are talking about a 7.3 here are we not???? you have no sig and with this change in format I get lost easy........

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
here is a pic of GP relay/controller. Relay "looks" similiar to the fender mounted starter relay ....but is not the same!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance