1st timer pulling idi turbodiesel

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
more questions!!

Ok, a couple of more questions. I guess I will continue to use this thread to eliminate clutter. I have a Luk clutch which looks to have life in it. I'm going to re use it to save money for now. Its a 12.25" clutch and had no problems to mention.

Is it a DMF or SMF set up?

I took the trans adapter off and took a couple of measurements.

Is this an SAE #3 bell?

My measurements came up close to #3 but didn't convince me.:dunno

Attachments

• idi clutch 034.jpg
    idi clutch 034.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 7
  • idi clutch 035.jpg
    idi clutch 035.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 5
  • idi clutch 036.jpg
    idi clutch 036.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 5

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
Ok, a couple of more questions. I guess I will continue to use this thread to eliminate clutter. I have a Luk clutch which looks to have life in it. I'm going to re use it to save money for now. Its a 12.25" clutch and had no problems to mention.

Is it a DMF or SMF set up?

I took the trans adapter off and took a couple of measurements.

Is this an SAE #3 bell?

My measurements came up close to #3 but didn't convince me.:dunno

looks to be and yes it is an SAE #3

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the cavitated 7.3s are not that rare, but if you get a good block that isn't already cavitated and use the green low silicate stuff with SCAs or a good ELC rated for diesel use like Cat or Rotella from the word go you will almost certainly never see that problem again. If you take the time to build a 7.3 with the kind of boost #s you want really paying some serious attention to the exhaust vales especially is probably a really good idea.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
So I guess you think that cavatation is the probable cause for the crack? Thats what I'm leaning towards.

Yes, I would like to be able to keep my 15psi of boost. I am happy with the power this setup made. I have one rebuilt head, one origional, both will be sent out and be brought up to matching specs if I choose to keep the 7.3's. Thinking about a little bit of porting also. I read that a Powerstroke gained 25hp alone just by porting. Even a 10hp increase would be pretty cool to see just by porting and polishing.

I ran SCA's in my coolant, but the truck had 232,000 miles on it when I got it. May have been too late. Lucky the donor engine only has 130,000 miles so hopefully it will last a while. Definitly gonna go with the Cat or Rotella. Seems too easy not to.