1999 f-250 4x4 5.4 motor

hardbound

Reaction score
New to me truck have no idea how old spark plugs are want to replace them. I'm aware of the modular motor issues with plugs having that said what brand of plugs seem to be the best for this series 5.4 .

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Use a GOOD, CALIBRATED TORQUE WRENCH!!!!!!! Put them in per spec, with the TORQUE WRENCH......

Dad bought a used 97 LD F-250 with a 5.4. The PO had just done a tune up, and changed the plugs. Less than a month later, he spit a plug out of the passenger side head, $3,000 later, he had a new passenger side head....... (this was before the Heli-Coil type repairs).... The early 5.4's only grab on like 2 or 3 threads on the plug, and the head side of the hole is aluminum.....

Did I mention to USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!!!

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to me truck have no idea how old spark plugs are want to replace them. I'm aware of the modular motor issues with plugs having that said what brand of plugs seem to be the best for this series 5.4 .

No, you don't. You think you do, but you don't. However, if you insist, Motorcraft or NGK are the only way to go.

Eli

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought I had heard of people running a tap through, which mostly prevented the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7