1993 F250 IDI Turbo hard/no start

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
I can confirm that my motor will NOT even sputter on just ether if there is no fuel present. I'd check to make sure you are getting fuel, one little air leak in your fuel lines and these sorts of issues will arise especially if you are still using the stock mechanical fuel pump. Replacing the mechanical pump with a electric pump is a great investment for these trucks and will save you a lot of headaches.

I would check for fuel at the schrader valve while you have a friend rolling the motor over. I'd also check the condition of the fuel system and look for any leaking fuel, wet return line caps, or suspect hoses and hardlines. Does yours have a water seperator with a little pump you can use to prime your fuel system with?

Just my two cents!

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing the fuel pump with an electronic one, where is it located on the truck? When I'm by the truck again, I'll make sure to check the Schrader valve, and go over the rest of the fuel system. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much cranking are you doing before the batteries are failing? That's alot of mile on the factory starter if its never been replaced. One of our trucks was mimicking the same problems as yours, glow plug system full functional , and it turned out it wasn't rolling over fast enough. This truck had 300,000 on it. Put a new oem motorcraft starter on it and it pops right off. If your truck isn't spinning over fast replace the starter. They are known to wear out spinning over 21.5:1

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was getting air in the system before my more recent issue and I ended up replacing all of the return caps and o rings. However once I figured out that was what I needed to attempt, I had air seep the whole way down to the lift pump and was not getting any fuel to come up to the filter and thus into the IP.

I coasted mine nose-down on a hill and got a squirt bottle full of diesel and took the line off to the fuel filter and filled the metal line that comes out of the lift pump with diesel as it was not full to the fuel filter, and then took the fuel filter off and filled it with diesel to the brim and screwed it back on, and the first time I got in the cab and cranked it for 10 seconds I got a huge cloud of smoke and it fired fine. Once I had it running I cracked each injector open just a bit until I saw fuel to try and get any air pockets out of my system. Of course now my hard line into my IP **** the bed so I'm sure I have air again now, but you get the idea.

It also would not start with ether during this debacle, didn't really do anything with it quite honestly just a small sputter but when you have literally no fuel it's not helping anything.

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The starter cranks pretty quick for the first few times. I get about 4 or 5 cranks out of it before the batteries die, and by the third one it's starting to slow down. The guy I bought it from replaced the batteries when I went to look at it because they were dead, but he got the cheap no name batteries from orielly's. The have enough cca's but I think they might be an issue as well. How difficult is it to swap the starter?

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it's cranking, I don't notice any. It smokes white a little bit when it first starts but clears up after a minute

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
Have you tried cracking an injector fitting where it meets the injector while rolling it over? Loosen it off (careful not to break your lines if it's sticky) and crank it. If you are not seeing diesel squirting out chances are you are not getting fuel. If you do this watch out and use common sense, you don't want to get diesel injected into your body so keep your hands away while rolling the truck over. It's fairly low pressure in these IDI's though.

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a shot as well. I'm back at school right now and the trucks at home. I'm driving my cousin's Silverado . Haha it's not a bad truck though. When I'm back home for Christmas break, I'll give all of these suggestions a shot. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think someone else mentioned previously that the glow plug relay could be bad as well. It does get hot when I'm cranking it and the red wire starts to melt while I'm cranking it

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A worn starter will drag the batteries down quick . In about the number of starting cycles you mentioned . does it pop right off and start if you leave the block heater plugged in for 2 hours?

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't plugged it in yet. I had the block heater plug hanging out when the front bumper was missing, and I tucked it up somewhere when I replaced the bumper. I need to track it down again.