1993 C2500 Bad tranny thoughts appreciated

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I hang over on the Ford forum but the biodiesel plant at my college has a C2500 with a bad auto tranny. The other grad student was told it needs a $2500 overhaul. Does this sound about right? Also which tranny do we have or would you need more info...what else could go behind it? Would it be impossible to mate a Ford C6 behind this engine? Just a thought. Thanks in advance. This is a sweet truck and really important for our program.
JD

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What engine? I would guess it's an overdrive, which would be lost with a C6, and I wouldn't know why you would want to go to all that trouble. I've not had many problems with GM transmissions, actually, like none...other than filters and such, I don't ever remember having to work on one. My guess is that since it's a school truck, it sees more than it's share of abuse!

The other nice thing about Chevy, parts are very interchangeable...diesel might be different, but otherwise, no one comes close to the interchangeability of a Chevy! On a 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7, you could always go to a TH350 or for bulletproof a TH400 if you don't mind losing OD. You won't find any transmission any better than either of those!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We drive it very few miles. The lack of OD would be no big deal but 2500 bucks just isn't in the budget, trying to figure out how to address it on the cheap.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
What are the symptoms and can you give more details of the vehicle? It should be a 4l80e since it's a 3/4 ton so it could be something as simple as electronics or a mechanical failure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jd-
it's got problems. it's going to need a rebuild due to no reverse. but the slamming into gears is a maladjusted fipl or a tps in GM terms.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I'd guess it needs the low band at least. My '93 did the same thing and I've heard it's common. $2500 is definately out of line, a good rebuilt can be had for $1500 or less. Labor to R&R will add to the cost though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2500 is a screwing, no reverse means the input sun shell is broken. put a turbo 400 in it and do the vacuum module stuff and go,

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
thats allot

1500 is the going rate around here for a compleet 700r4 rebuild and a bit less for the TH350/TH400

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online