1992 IDI Gen1 Banks turbo replacement/swap Holset

chumwon

Reaction score
Hello everyone! i recently purchased an ole farm truck f350 supercab dually diesel. Truck runs alright with just hard first starts. it came with an original non-wastegated banks system on it that has to of been on there since the truck was almost new. i could never hear the turbo even working until i would shut it down. the power is ok but just acts like a N/A motor... always had slight black smoke whenever on throttle an never felt the boost pull you back. i finally took it on a 400 mile trip this weekend with no load behind it and barely got 15mpg so once i got back i started to take the turbo off. truck never had a boost gauge so i dont actually know what it was making but i can tell you it was little to none. once i got to the turbo the compressor impeller has slop and oil is everywhere in it along with it leaking around the base of the hat. my question is i have my hands on two old non-wastegated turbos off onan generators. one is in excellent condition Holset H1C and a quite worn out Holset hx35. wondered if anyone has ran an H1C on an idi before and howd it work?! i need to change the turbine housing anyways so also looking for advice on getting a bigger or smaller housing? im just not sure how much boost this little thing will make an if id be to much for the idi. love the truck an just wanna do her some good. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuild the existing turbo and fix any other problems. I have an HX35W and love it, but I also have the motor modified to take higher boost and have a custom uppipe setup - I think the physical size of the HX35 would cause problems using a standard turbo up-pipe/mount. H1C may be the same. HX35 is the same inlet flange, but different oil fittings and downpipe flange.

Also would have to research the turbos you have and figure out what you'd need to adapt them - generator/stationary engine is likely a different setup then a vehicle engine, not sure if just a turbine housing would be enough or if there's other differences.

As far as I know, the non wg banks turbo is a standard T3 and hence easy/cheap to get a kit for and rebuild. Probably easier than cobbling on a different turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online