1990 soon to be powerstroke...

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I have a 1990 F-250 with the old IDI hitched to a ZF manual, performance parts include stage 1 injectors, K&N air filter and an exhaust system. I recently stumbled across a 96 powerstroke for cheap. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were as to whether I should swap the blocks out completely or just adapt the powerstroke technology onto my block... I will most likely swap the transmissions because my second and reverse gear synchronizers are going out.

That was what I posted on Pirate4x4.com hears the link:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861428

If you read the thread(its not long) you will know that I am now going to put the psd in my 90. I would like all the info/secrets that anyone has pertaining to how to go about this. I am fully aware that it will take a considerable amount of time. As well the donor truck has a front end replacement, rear bumper, and auxiliary fuel tank with a small tool box built into the top, these items and everything else that I do not use off the truck will be up for sale. If your interested PM me.

DragRag

Reaction score
The powerstroke is a complete different engine, you would need to swap the whole engine, and wire harness computer etc. I wouldn't do it myself, the gains are marginal, and who wants to buy $100 rebuilt injectors when you can get a whole set of new IDI injectors for $200. You can make your idi run just fine, the powerstroke is a great engine to, but the simplicity and low cost to repair outweighs the cool sounds, and marginal additional power that a powerstroke delivers. Just my .02 though.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get the job done.. the PSD is a sick motor, its got decent juice stock, and with just a few parts your lookin at some good #'s. just lots of wires...and in the long run theres way more out there for the PSD. o and a bricknose PSD would be sick

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the other thread, and agree 100% with the swap a cummins idea;Sweet On the idea of swapping in a PSD, I would not entertain the thought of doing a swap just to make a vehicle which is already available to the masses. There is ZERO sense in swapping a PSD into another Ford truck when you can buy virtually the same thing in a pre-built truck. Swaps are for combinations that do not exist from the factory (at least as far as commonly available late-ish model pick-ups are concerned).
Travis..

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Putting the stroke in a brick nose is gonna be a pita. I have a stroke with everything I need to put it in whatever I find suitable. I looked into doing it on my 87 and didnt because of all the hacking I was going to have to do (dashes dont interchange and extra bulkhead holes for pcm and ficm modules, btw you HAVE to use the p/s instrument cluster as there is a module in it that allows the stroke to start). All that and the fact that it really isnt much more power (without considerable money) and i decided against it.

I did find a place to put that stroke, just not a bricknose.

Everyone is all gonzo over the cummins. It is a good motor, and can make power, but I dont see the point in dumping that much money into something to make turbo noise and smoke.

A dt466 is cooler and about as much work, just hasnt been done to death.

Im crazy though. I like simplicity. Hence the idi's in the drive, benz and ih. I will not drive a gasser, and wont own a dodge, so until a cheap or free cummins rolls my way I doubt I will own a fummins truck.

punk

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Your PM setting is turned off, but how much for the ranch hand front replacement, does the rear match (if so how much for both), and how much for the toolbox/fuel tank.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Your PM setting is turned off, but how much for the ranch hand front replacement, does the rear match (if so how much for both), and how much for the toolbox/fuel tank.

It's turned on now, sorry.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
parts you will need.

1 stroke engine if its manual keep the flywheel pressure plate and clutch, if its auto keep the flexplate, spacer and torque converter.

all the wiring under the hood and under the dash. Pull the whole dash and unwire it from the back. Hack your dash up to fit the 92-96 cluster in the 87-91 hole.

You will need the ecm and ficm for the stroke. the pcm is in the bulkhead, the ficm is on the drivers fender near the spring.

You will need to cut the donor truck to get a patch panel for your bulkhead so you will have proper connections for the wiring going through. You could just cut your bulkhead and stick them through but wiring is something you dont want to chance.

Get a good diag unit that will let you see pid values. When (not if by the way) the stroke goes down you are gonna have to diag and repair it. Keep the oil change religiously (heiu injection means your oil is firing your engine and lubing your bearings)

The motor will drop right in and bolt up to your zf, the flywheel needs to be from a stroke though.

The physical act of putting it in the truck is no harder than swapping in another idi. the getting it right so it will run and continue to run correctly is the hard part. I DO NOT advise people to try this based on the high likelihood of some sensor or wire geting cut, chaffed, stretched, whatever thereby causing a no start and a long disheartening diag of what is what. If you know strokes and diesel diag, its not bad. If you dont then your heading in to deep ocean with floaties on, your asking for heartache.

punk

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
my connection does that occasionally. I usually catch it and delete the repeat. got by me this time.

feel free to give me a call and I can likely answer your questions/ walk you through it, or at the very least get them answered.

punk

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF the other truck is rough but has a good cab, it'd be easier to swap your brick nose, doors and bed onto the other truck. Have the cab painted to match and call it a day.
Travis..