1990 7.3 IDI lost oil pressure, died.

furfishgame

Reaction score
First off i very much appreciate the help all!

When the event happened it lost all engine power, like the throttle cable broke (i know that because it happened last week) as soon as that happened i shoved the clutch in and looked down and i had 0 oil pressure. And the engine kinda tumbled to a halt similar to if i just shut off the ignition All this with in a few seconds. I didnt hear any rough noises and the engine turns over normally

I smell no diesel in the oil and im not sure if its higher than it should be as it leaks around a quart every 2 weeks but ive been driving work trucks home more than normal lately.

I put a new lift pump on and it seems to get good pressure past the filter, how ever i took an injector line off after trying to bleed the air and the fuel sputters out of the line, kindof in sync with the lift pump stroke. It doesnt seem to really be spraying air, just throwing a shot of fuel, then stopping

furfishgame

Reaction score
UPDATE : after agonizing bleeding, charging battery, bleeding, charging.. I got it to start. How ever it seemed to be sucking are for the 15 minutes it ran. It was surging, rev up then down almost till it died, then rev back up. I took it for a spin in the gravel pit and it seemed to do ok when it was throttled up, i parked it and let it idle while i checked for leaks. There was some fuel dripping off the frame of the truck, but i think that was from me spilling the filter when i put it back on.. I took a gander and couldnt find any leaks, but i suppose it would be sucking air not blowing fuel? After about 15 minutes of running it died.

Gonna get a new filter and some rubber hose tomorrow after work. Is there anythimg i should look for in a leak? I cracked 4 injectors, but made sure they were all real tight before i started the engine..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how was the oil pressure when it fired back up?

kind of sounds like a fuel block.
when i first got my truck my rear tank wouldnt work at all, i had pick up pieces blocking the line.

if you want to go through your entire fuel system, i would pull the bed.
disconnect the lines from the tank, replace all rubber lines, blow air through it all,
check both pick ups in the tanks, then put it back together.

FYI ive had bran new mechanical lift pumps that were faulty.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You should just put a couple gallons of fuel in your tanks to see if it helps. Your fuel pickup is likely broken and you're just not getting the remaining fuel in your tank.

Based on your description it sounds like your engine died (main problem) then you noticed the oil pressure had dropped off. It was probably just because the engine had stopped/was dying.

When you got it to run for your 15 mins again did the oil pressure come back?

furfishgame

Reaction score
Well i feel like a idiot..

Yes oil came back up, i got back to the shop after work today and found a enormous diesel puddle under my truck, lo and behold i found a hole in my line, im guessing that happens when i was tugging on the line trying to reconnect it to the fuel pump.. Now the tricky part.. Replacing the copper tube.. Any tips?