1986 f350 6.0 powerstroke video

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i don't want to make anybody mad or start anything by saying this.....

DROP the 6.doh thing. it is said EVERY SINGLE time the 6.0L psd is mentioned even if it has NOTHING to do with the reliability of the engine. i understand why peopeld don't like the engine and i myself would not take the risk of owning one, but it has been proven that with the correct, regular mainitnence they can be good, reliable engines.

that is all i want to say. i am not going after anybody by saying this. i don't want this to turn into some ******* match although it probly will b/c we are humans and it is just human nature. i am done now, carry on.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
You are right, they can be very reliable, but I have driven a few and I HATE how much lag they have. Maybe a different setup and a chip can change that, but I would destroy a stock one off the line with my old 7.3 IDI with 10lbs of Banks Sidewinder, and my truck is WEAK compared to a lot of the guys here and I'm running 3.55 gears.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the issues I have with the 6.0 are the turbo, trying to get low and high range out of it turned out disastrous. We used to run one 6.0 and one 7.3 and in comparison that was our only major problem (not that we ever worked them). The 6.0 seems like it lost a lot of money for a lot of consumers, ford, AND international so I dont really see any reason to defend it.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I have driven both a 2005 6.0 and a 2003 7.3 powerstrokes on almost a daily basis. We have 1 prisoner transport with the 6.0 and 1 with the 7.3. Let me tell you the lag on the 6.0 really shows when you have 11 people in the van weighing 180-250lbs each. compared to empty. We actually did a race one day up a 7% grade fully loaded. We normally only run 60/63 anyways with a 75mph speed limit.

The 7.3 actually pulled away from the 6.0 on the grade. it was pretty impressive for a 7.3 with 340k without a rebuild. but our 6.0 has been reliable. We got it new in 2005 and we have over 238k on it as of yesterday. It is driven almost daily atleast 200 miles to 800miles depending on the transport distance.

in my opinion it is whatever the person prefers.

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
i dont know why everyone bashes the 6.0 liter so much, its not like the 6.9 didnt blow headgaskets, if he spent the time putting it in the truck he probably spent the time to fix the probems right? better than a cummins ;Sweet

Last edited:

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a 6.0 at work, I finally refused to drive it, I got tired of being stranded. I think it had around 120k when we sent it down the road. It spent most of its life at the ford dealership in the shop area. Sorry the 6.0 caused ford so many lawsuits its beyond belief. that motor is a great boat anchor.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others..... please quit bashing the 6.0 of the sake of bashing it. Yes, there are 6.0's out there that have had their share of problems..... but for every one bad one..... how many good ones have there been..... just in this thread, it is 3 to 1..... remember you only hear the bad things... not good ones. Yes they caused Ford alot of lawsuits.... but Ford caused alot of the problems they got sued for..... and the lawsuit against IH was a bunch of BS!!!!! Sorry..... but in the begining, IH made a good, reliable engine (look at their VT365, it has issues but not like the Ford version). IH told Ford this engine costs X amount. Ford balked and said it was to much..... and changed what parts they wanted installed to lower the cost of the engine, injectors being on of the things they changed, and it bit them in the backside. Ford's option was, as long as it lasts until the warrenty expires, it is fine..... they did not care about the longevity of the engine... and it has cost them.... so to save face, Ford sued IH.... just like they did Firestone...... and kissed and made up in private and are all moving foward...... if you read the info on the 6.7 "FORD EXCLUSIVLY MADE" engine... they state they consulted with a long-time diesel manufacturer in the development and production of the engine..... who do you think that was??????

I will say this, and this is not hearsay, or what I have read, this is personal experience....

In the 4 and 1/2 years I have owned my 2003 6.0 Excursion, it HAS NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED! There have been a handful of times that it would not start because of the battery/alternator issue (Not the engine's fault). I even made a joke to someone that owned and IDI that was very troublesome, that for a bad as the 6.0 is, it starts everytimg I need to come and get you when your IDI quits...... I have an issue now that I believe was created by either bad fuel, or the low voltage situation from the batteries (again, not the engine's fault). Yes they had issues, and Ford took it in the can early on..... but they are not all bad..... there are numerous engines out there that have multiple hundreds of thousands of troublefree miles on them...... and there is a great number of those on Oilburners and out sister site SuperDutyDiesel.com.... I undersand there are members who have/had a 6.0 and had trouble with them... I know Calvin is one of them, and so is GUNZ....... but that does not make them all bad.....

Also, another little known fact, after the problems were ironed out with the 6.0.... it was one of the more reliable, and lower warrenty clamed powerplants that Ford offerd.....

As for the turbo lag, were the ones with the lag on a van or a pickup? The van and truck use different turbos, and the van is a lower horsepower..... I have not driven a stock SD 7.3, but I have an OBS 7.3 and the OBS was a slug compaired to my 6.0.... The lag seems minimal on mine..... but is a VGT truck turbo, not a standard van turbo....

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The one that I drive normally is an F550 4X4. Always starts and is very reliable, but it's slower than a Geo. The other ones I've driven were 250's and 350's (pickups). Same thing. Slow off the line until that boost kicks in. I like them, just not enough to own one. If I got a superduty, it would be an early 03 F350 CC LB SRW Lariat FX4 7.3L.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
One thing I have to say good about the 6.leaker is is the awesome bark out a straight pipe exhaust! After that annoying turbo whistle dies down ofcourse....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel