1982 351 questions...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have a couple questions being clueless about gas. How do I tell which of the 3 I have? For the 2v engines what was the horsepower and torque in 82? What was the rating on the 4v engines in the mid eighties? What compression ratio did they use? Any RV cam recomendations? I have the Variable Venturi carburetor and it seems to have a non functional choke, anything inparticular that tends to cause that?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
If its the stock engine it should be a 351W. I dont recall a 4bbl being offered in the early 80s, not until 84 i believe was the 351HO brought out with a 4bbl. Hp is about 155. the 4bbl HO was close to 200-210.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
In the 82/3 model year, it was more than likely an 351M. We had an 83 that was a 351M, found out it was an 82 model year engine.... that had the Variable Venturi POS!!!!! I think it was part of the demise of that engine. DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER SPRAY in a VV Carb. You will soften the metering rods, which act somewhat like a choke.... We were headed out on a week long vacation on Kentucky Lake... and we did a tune up, plugs, cap, rotor (That is how we found out we had an 82 engine, the distributor was different than the ones in 83, cap and rotor did not fit). We cleaned the carb, and replaced the Fuel Filter, and took of to Kentucky. We got there fine, but while the truck sat, the metering rods stuck, and it was like driving with the choke closed. Limped it to a Ford Dealer in Benton, Ky on a Saturday morning. We told them what was going on, and the Good 'Ol Boy running the shop, got us in, told us what we had done wrong, fixed it, and sent us on our way.... and I don't think he even charged us $100. Ran fine after that, until the carb started to go south and dump fuel in... I think we would have more control of the fuel with a can on the roof and a hose into the intake.... We had the issue "fixed" a 2v from an older 351 was installed, with an older distributor that had the vacuum advance, since the 82/3 had a "brain box". Not sure what the HP rating was, but I know that old truck could pull a house. I think it had 4:10's and front and rear LS (The truck I was talking about in the Dana 60 thread). I know it had the power, if you were trying to move something heavy, if you had it in 4 lo, on dry pavement, it would just sit still and bounce...... while we had that truck, it your could get it to hook to the ground, it would pull it..... that truck had a wrist pin knock for the last 2 years it was on the road.... I was in college, and we did not have a lot of $$$$, it was rusting out and we had lost the splines in the joint to the passenger side on the front. So we just kept driving it.... it got Mom and Dad back home one last time... it died about 100 yards from the house, and Dad was able to coast it to the garage.... not sure what the actual internal damage was, but when you pulled the dip stick, I am surprised fluid did not run out.... there was "fluid" notice I did not say oil.... about a foot and a half up the stick, and the radiator was bone dry..... had 100,628 miles on it when it finally let go......

If you do a tune up on it, verify which rotor you have. The 82 engines had round "platter" rotor inside the distributor, the 83 engines had the typical rotor, shaft with a "lobe" that contacted the plug end. We had an 83 MY truck, with the platter type rotor, and the two were not interchangeable.....

I have not seen it in documentation, but from what I was told, the 351M (Modifed, or Mexico) had a Windsor Block, and Cleveland heads..... I do know over the years there were 3 designations for the 351, 351C (Cleveland Engine Plant), 351W (Windsor, Canada Engine Plant), and the 351M.......

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i was under the impression the 351M was phased out by 82 and the 400 by 83. just looked at one of my ford truck manuals and i take it that the 351m/400 were used for about 1/2 year in 82 until the supply dried up. so i guess it could be either.

here is a way...count the valve cover bolts. 6 means its a windsor(3 along the bottom), 8 means its a m block(4 long the bottom). Also the W has the water pump directly on the block, the m has a spacer plate behind it. Or check the fuel pump mounting bolts:

You must be registered for see images attach

also the 351m is a destroked 400, which all are in the same family as the 351C or the 335 series of engines. the only windsor to use cleveland heads was the boss 302 (69/70).

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information. I know that it had a lot of power.... until it croaked. I would look at it.... but the truck died in 1993..... I may know where the engine is, if they still have it.... Dad sold the truck to a neighbor that rolled his truck, so part of the body got transplanted to the other truck.... and the rear end and bed ended up as a trailer......

But I do know the engine was an 82... we bought a cap and rotor for an 83 351 and it did not fit.... we took the one on the truck in and matched it up, and it was an 82 cap and rotor.....

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
ya most people say the 351m/400 are junk but they can make good power and are really torquey engines. in fact i think one took 1st in the engine masters

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take another look, it has the thermostat on the front of the intake manifold, I'll look at the valve covers, I don't mind a low end torque engine in this truck, and I can feel torque but it is worn out, hardly wants to pull a 2000# trailer, it has been worked hard all it's life, pulling goosenecks, slide in camper, carrying hot air balloons.

the thermostat was stuck wide open for years and a replacement has helped quite a bit, wires come today with cap and Rotor, small amounts of moisture under the hood almost kill the engine.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take another look, it has the thermostat on the front of the intake manifold, I'll look at the valve covers, I don't mind a low end torque engine in this truck, and I can feel torque but it is worn out, hardly wants to pull a 2000# trailer, it has been worked hard all it's life, pulling goosenecks, slide in camper, carrying hot air balloons.

the thermostat was stuck wide open for years and a replacement has helped quite a bit, wires come today with cap and Rotor, small amounts of moisture under the hood almost kill the engine.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
if the t-stat is on the front then im almost positive its a 351W. on the 335 series the t-stat is on the block in front of the intake.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya most people say the 351m/400 are junk but they can make good power and are really torquey engines. in fact i think one took 1st in the engine masters

They are junk. Blew up 3 of them in a week trying to climb the same hill empty that the 460 I stuffed in it would climb in 3rd with a van on it.good for A boat anchor though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle