1979 F150 4x4

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
if that 400 with stock manifolds and nothing but an intake, carb, and port job is keeping up with a supercharged 460 something is wrong with your 460. that's all i'll say about it. you back up those **** 400s, i'll stick with tried and true 460s. carburated 460s that is, not a sc fuel injected 460..

my uncles 1 ton on 38s with a built 429 outran 5.0 mustangs. id like to see a 400 on 38s do that. And the price tag of one that does.

My 96 460 was 230hp stock and now with the supercharger it is around 325hp
The 400m in 79 was rated at 170hp stock. I would say the engine in the tuck now is closer to 300hp.
So for a 325hp truck that weighs in at 6900lbs vs a 300 hp truck that weighs in at 5500lbs. It is a closes race

A built 429 is NOT a stock engine. Hell my 429 in my pulling truck runs with hemi's(real ones as in 426cid not those wanna be 5.7s)

Last edited:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i know it's not a stock engine, we weren't talking about stock engines. you said a 400 can be built, i'm saying a 460/429 can be built bigger and cheaper. i was talking about stock engines to begin with, and there is no argueing that a 400m is not impressive stock. i dont want to run this topic off track. i was just stating my opinion. good luck with the sale.

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely one fine looking truck!And Brads right,a little change here a little change there the 400 will run like hell and get twice the mileage of any 460.Hope he gets his asking price.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Like I said, apparently YOU dont know how to make one run. This truck will dam near keep up with my SUPERCHARGED 460. Just because you looked at it as a stock engine, doesnt mean it is. Guess you didnt see the intake, carb, port job............

Don't sweat it Brad, I too know what these motors can do.;Really I had a 351M in a '77 f250 4x4 with an alum. flat bed, could twist the factory speedo back around to zero:sly Ran an '04 GTO with it from 0-75mph. Talk about a sleeper.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
With the emmisions crap on those trucks its no wonder they were turds stock. 4bbl carb and intake, headers, and change the cam timing and they wake right up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a question do you no anything about california smogging?
if you have a kali truck of that vintage, don't even think of doing anything like what the rest of the country does. the smog thresholds are getting tightened down every year. a internally modded motor won't pass without plenty of massaging on the rollers. yes, kali has dyno smog.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck is beautiful.... My dream truck is a late 70's F-series. Of all the trucks I could ever have, this would be the one. If only it had a 7.3idi... oh my :) Beautiful Truck! I wish!

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
Just had to add my 2 cents. I'd trade my stock 460 for a 400m ANYDAY of the week. Those are some awesome engines with VERY little tweaking to make 'em run. Even the 351m and Clevelands were badass with just a little easy workin'.

The 400 has always produced more torque than the 460 (thanks to a longer stroke!), and we all know, torque makes power, not the other way around!

When Carrol Shelby uttered those now famous words about cubic inches, he was refering to NA engines, as evidenced by his installation of a supercharger onto his and Bill Cosbys' 427 AC Cobras, the King Cobra

You want to talk about blowing away 5.0s on 38's, I doubt it, only if I saw it would I believe it and I wish I could show you the time I blew the doors off a 5.0 in my 70 Torino with a stock 2 barrel, headers and straight pipes running a 272 cam and NOTHING more! That was pure power and with beer can shims under the bearings of the first two rods no less! I tried to blow it up and it just kept on going until I found a 351w to put in it. I was less than impressed with that swap, but it least it was quite now!

The ONLY complaint I had about those engines was the fact the cylinders seemed to turn to mush at high revs, as all my Clevelands did.

Brad, your right HE does not know what he is talking about, he's just J. Now if we were talking about a 514 versus a 400...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online