1600 miles and 100 gallons later, something weird happened

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Look at military parts or old Corn Binder parts from the 60s.Buddy of mine had a camper special crew cab cornbinder pickup that had dual tanks and a manual FSS mounted in the floor next to the drivers seat and door.The 5 ton military tractors and wreckers have a valve in the floor also for selecting tanks.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do realize that the weight on the door tag is the GVWR, not the actual GVW? It's the maximum rated weight, with fuel and passengers/cargo, not the empty weight of the vehicle.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
It's a custom van. It has a lot of stuff inside: total fuel capacity of 98 gallons (33 + 55 but if I need more I can tow a 240 gallons tank on a small trailer behind), tools, tank with 30 gallons of potable water, portable toilet, survival food for a couple of weeks for three people, inflatable bed, three captain chairs, things that go: BANG! with enough ammo for months and many other useful things and spare parts. Empty is 9,000 pounds. Loaded to cruise 1,500 miles without refueling: 10,000 pounds.

It's parked always ready to go, without a previous notice, day or night.:backoff

Burt. A bitterclinging Florida ******* (It has a Bible too, of course)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

a BOV,

neat.;Sweet;Sweet

I've got four, E350s, all decked out courtesy of Uncle Sammy and your tax dollars. Mine had armor, weapons racks, and lots of other neat mods.

ETA: man, I forgot the chocolate chip cookies. Guess I'll dump a can of ammo to make room.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sir, are the person my mamma warned me about! LOL

It's good to know when the big one hits....I'll be able to find others like ourselves out there. I got enough weapons, survuval gear, spare parts and chocolate chip cookies to last me quite a while!!
I got cookies too, tho I prefer cream ones. Lotsa coke too (least two gallons at any given time), cheap Walmart brand but still, can't have cookies with no coke :D

Come on guys, tell it like it is. I'm just waiting for some body to come up with a manual FSS!
Mine is on a manual switch with constant-hot power, does that count? It's from the battery, in the cab, through a big push-pull switch, out the cab again to a relay, and right in the FSS and alternator trigger. Meaning if all cab power fails, I still got my FSS and alternator, starter I can jump from the engine bay, and the CB and some of the offroad lights are also constant-hot powered.

Look at military parts or old Corn Binder parts from the 60s.Buddy of mine had a camper special crew cab cornbinder pickup that had dual tanks and a manual FSS mounted in the floor next to the drivers seat and door.The 5 ton military tractors and wreckers have a valve in the floor also for selecting tanks.
That's good to know, I know where there are some retired military trucks... what about the gauge tho, does the FSS as a switch for that on it, or I gotta reuse my factory switch?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncles 68 chevy has 3 tanks, he has a 3 position toggle switch on the dash to control the fuel gauge.

I've never looked, but I would think someone makes a manual selector valve with provision for fuel return?
Travis..

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'm looking at manual fuel selector valves right now. Got my new fuel system planned out, and the valve is the only speed bump in my way.

I'm looking for a 4-way valve, with dual 90 degree fuel paths, and full 360 degree rotation. minimum 3/8" or 9mm dia ports.

Nothing really cheap on ebay, and retail sites are much more expensive.

Anyone have a better source for this valve?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
On the 2 tons you gotta turn the valve in the floor and hit the switch on the dash.The military setup is way overkill.They have both the selector valve so you can run on either tanks plus a transfer pump so you can run off one tank and transfer the fuel over if you want to.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love overkill, it's like a warm blanket. Or the HOT 44 loads I shot this weekend and obliterated my brother's bird feeder. Yes, I will get him another!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
You sir, are the person my mamma warned me about! LOL

It's good to know when the big one hits....I'll be able to find others like ourselves out there. I got enough weapons, survuval gear, spare parts and chocolate chip cookies to last me quite a while!!

He is setting a good example. He's a brother.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
You do realize that the weight on the door tag is the GVWR, not the actual GVW? It's the maximum rated weight, with fuel and passengers/cargo, not the empty weight of the vehicle.

When I go to a scrap metal place I have to weight it again after unloading and it's close to 9,000 pounds. When I say empty I mean with the central hall not in use. There are cabinets on the walls with hardware, extra batteries with the solar panels and inverter/charger, tank with water, extra fuel tank, lots of tools (mechanic, electrician and cabinetmaker tools), air compressor, generator, and many other stuff. To my left/back, in a cabinet designed for them, with quick and easy access, my old and trusted S & W 586 and Marlin 1894Cb are stored. Another reason for the weight is the 2" double wall with foam fiberglass roof and the insulated and paneling covered interior walls and floor. In the central hall of 4 feet wide by 8 feet long I can haul either two plastic containers with vegetables (4' x 4' x 3') or plywood sheets, lumber or any construction materials. It has also in the back a second A/C unit to keep it warm or cold. I'll take pictures later.

Thanks,

Burt.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
When you switch tanks can you hear the valve click?
I've been pretty busy yesterday planting potatoes and today I just got here with a huge load of boards a friend of mine and I sawed from a bunch of red oak logs this morning. I have to stack them up to dry and then prepare the field where the onions, garlic and greens are going to be planted with God's favor next week. As soon as I have a break I'll do that test; right now I have fuel in both tanks and is taking pretty much the same amount from both at the same time when I switch to FRONT, if I switch to REAR it takes only from the rear tank.

Thanks,

Burt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance