160 hp cummins

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death already but I can only access the net from my cell phone right now and the search function hardly works. I want to put a ctd in my 94 in my signature and need some advice.

I may be able to buy a 90 dodge with 135k hard ranching miles on it. But it still starts and runs well. On the top of the valvecover it says 160 hp, I don't recall the torque. Especially at this altitude (8000 ft) it does feel pretty gutless. much more so than the 97 12 valve and 01 24 valve we have. It is my understanding that this motor is extremely reliable due to the ip, and decent power is possible. What would be needed to make this thing smoke a PSD?

Any suggestions on what to look for before I buy. Compression check I figure. It blows some white smoke for a minute or so on a 40 degree startup, big deal or no?

Thanks in advance.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The 89-93 Cummins motors were all factory rated 160hp and 400 ft-lbs. These were flywheel numbers and from what I've read they usually dynoed a little higher than that. Nevertheless they do feel kinda gutless until you tweak it some.

Yes they are extremely reliable and more power can be had for free with just a few turns of some screws. I've read of several trucks making real decent power on the stock internals and IP. Oh and the truck came from the factory with a VE rotary injection pump, very similar to the VP44 in the 24v trucks. While it will never make the power that a P-pump will, it can still make good numbers.

If you want to smoke a Stroke, you'll need to do a lot of turning on the IP, probably a new set of injectors, 4" exhaust, and a new turbo to start. I'd also recommend an intercooler and exhaust manifold. And don't forget the gauges. Oh and a common upgrade on these trucks is to fix the killer dowel pin (KDP) but you probably already know about that from the other Cummins trucks you've been around.

The white smoke at start up is likely due to the grid heaters being inoperable. These trucks don't have glow plugs. They use a grid to heat the incoming air to reduce white smoke. A little haze on a cold start is normal, but a cloud is not.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VE pump won't make P-Pump numbers, but, it is a much better suited pump for an automotive app, the dynamic timing advance is what makes the VE trucks better on fuel, and it makes the torque curve alot broader, VS the P-Pump pretty much just having a sharp ramp up to 1500 rpm, and a sharp drop not much after.

Realisticly, with an IC, 4" exhaust, and a turbo upgrade, it is possible to put down 300 hp with the stock non I/C injectors, depending on how worn out they are, possibly more, probably not at 8000 feet, but it is doable. If the PSD in question is not far from stock, you will probably be able to smoke it without injectors.

White smoke on a cold start is normal, and it may well have grid relay problems. But, on cold days if I forget to plug in(I'm talking -30) I unplug them for more battery power to spin it over... Still starts the same, just runs nicer.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a PSD intercooler, 195 stat, 4" exhaust, 12-16CM turbine housing, 3200 spring and fuel maxxed that engine will be around 300HP and very reliable. If you're resourceful that's $200 or less in parts. Gauges are a good idea and so is a new head gasket if it still has the original.

My 4BT daily driver has the same modifications except 3" exhaust. It has a rather impressive 200HP. It will out tow a stock 7.3 powerstroke, has better acceleration from 3rd gear on up (first and second I lose, a 3.9L engine does not have the off-idle power of a 7.3, but when 3.9 liters has 40PSI it does win).

The Gen1 didge trannies are pretty bad though, so that 300HP will never make it to the ground effectively. It will blow through an A518/727 converter or suffer with the terrible gutbag ratios.

The VE's can make the fuel of a P7100. You can melt your engine in no time with some cheap bolt on VE parts. However, you will never get a VE to hold together over 3500 for long.

Myself, I prefer VE's for a driver type vehicle. The power is great and cold start and idle RPM control beats any P7100. VE's also seam to easily spool larger turbos. I don't understand the dynamics behind that, but I've been very surprised of their performance. In addition, a VE is the AK-47 of IP's. For $30 in parts a monkey can overhaul a VE in a gravel driveway. If you need a hard part, they are cheap, VE's are everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online