150 4X4 front on 250?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Found a '89 150 4X4 parts truck with 4" lift but bad trans and unknown engine for $400. Blue interior that I need for my 89 and I want to eventually put 4X on my 250. I'd post the add but afraid someone here will beat me to it. If its not bought by next week it goes to scrap yard. Should I try for it or not? Cab does have rot behind pass door. Would a 150 front work on a 250 or not? Kinda wondering if I should make the drive or not...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F150 4x4? as in coil spring front? this is going to be interesting when you drop a fully dressed IDI on the frame.......:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Yeah when you say "front" are we talking body parts? Or suspension parts?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do this at one time, I think it will fit up. But I was going to turn a f250 2wd into a f150 4wd. I was going to change out the rearend and make it essentially a f150. I needed the good body and frame of the f250. But the deal didn't go through.

That is what I would do if I were you so the lug patterns and wheels would match. I am not sure why the other guys are doubtful about the idi in a f150? I thought Agnem dude did this with one of his trucks?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Lol, No. Put the 150 4X parts under my 250. Was just curious. Just made a boneyard run and scored good. 3 never used aftermarket gauges with bracket, 2 power window assemblies without motor, just gear arm and mounting bracket, 2 aluminum rocker panels, some connectors, a power window/lock harness, and some other crap for less than $50. Gotta love pawn shops, Lol. It helps when you flirt with the checkout girls...Whatever works and helps...ya know?
Only thing I need now is to get some aftermarket power lock actuators and ill have power locks and windows.

Last edited:

MarX740

Reaction score
The 2WD f250's and 4x4 150's were both coil sprung, so you could reuse your springs(assuming you have the coil springs in front) You'd still need to have a 4x4 trans and tcase and your front wheels would be a different bolt pattern from your rear(8 vs 5)
I thought about doing it too but it's easier to 1-just get a 4x4 truck or 2 swap from a F250 4x4 with leafs. Would say do an RSK and get superduty springs while you're in there.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
both front and rear wheels are 8 lug. I do have coils in front. I have a c6 and have heard there was conversion kits you can get to marry it to the tcase. I already have 2 c6 trans and want to make one of them work instead of getting another one and trying.

MarX740

Reaction score
The axle on the f150 won't be though.
Okay. My first piece of advice is out the window. :D

Since you want to convert your truck to 4WD, the D60 is the way to go. There's a solid Dana 44 that would work too, but it isn't as strong as the D60.

There is a couple of problems you're going to face. The first is money. A driver's side pumpkin D60 (kingpin 85.5 to 91, balljoint 92 to 97) is specific to Ford alone (Dodge and Chevy are both passenger side) and they are not cheap. If you're lucky, you'll be able to pick one up for less than $800. More realistically, you're probably looking at least $1K. If you find one at a junkyard or off of a parts truck, make sure to get the springs, the driveline and all associated parts. This is obvious but important: check the gear ratio before you install it. If it's not the same as your rear axle, it's not a big deal, but you'll have to buy a new ring and pinion set. This will add to the cost.

Chances are, since you've just bought a used frontend, it's going to need some work. Depending on what it needs, you could be looking at less than $100 to a whole lot more.

Secondly, there's the issue of your transmission. Since your truck is a factory 2WD, you don't have the married transfer case that the factory 4X4 trucks had. You've got two options: either find a factory 4X4 transmission or run a divorced t-case. For the least amount of work, you'd be best off finding a factory 4X4 ZF-5 speed tranny. If you decide to run a divorced t-case with the tranny you've got, you'll need to have a custom front driveline made as well as an output shaft from your tranny to your t-case.

Lastly, once you've got your frontend in reasonable condition, you've got to mod the frame to accept the axle.

As you can see, this conversion is a whole pile of work and a chunk of $$$. If you decide to do this, in the end it'll be worth it 'cause you'll be the one to have done the work. And that's why we're all here.

Good luck!
Thats what I found in regards to swapping to 4x4.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do your homework and check to see if your F150 hub and spindle is a D44 and a light F250 hub and spindle is compatible or not. best indicator is the wheel bearing and seal part numbers. if they are the same, you're in. bolt in and run. if not. you have some fab work to do.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do your homework and check to see if your F150 hub and spindle is a D44 and a light F250 hub and spindle is compatible or not. best indicator is the wheel bearing and seal part numbers. if they are the same, you're in. bolt in and run. if not. you have some fab work to do.

they are not compatable................. you will need some chevy parts to swap that 44TTB to 8bolt. and some mods need to be made to those chevy parts too. had that same idea for my diesel bronco but couldn't find the chevy parts I needed so I put a 9" in the rear inplace of the 8.8. it actually worked well with the diesel coils in the front.

you would be surprised how strong the TTB44 is unless you want to thrash it offroad or plow with it. for a driver its good.

could just bolt everything under your F250.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D44 in f 150 uses different bj spacing than d44hd f250...ZERO COMPATIBILITY HERE.

Old solid axle D44 f250 outers should be same bj spacing iirc as is chevy solid d44

Best bet...locate some newer 05ish zuperduty axles front and rear and swap that **** in.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D44 in f 150 uses different bj spacing than d44hd f250...ZERO COMPATIBILITY HERE.
That is true. But look at the twin I beam arm length on the 2wd f250. It is long like the f150 ttb. Have I ever got a tape measure out and measured it? No. But it sure does look like it's the same length between a 2wd f250 axle half and a f150 4x4 ttb axle half.