14 bolt full floater

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
outter bearing what or is there an installation procedure
what happend on mine this is how i got the truck
outter bearing cage was tore up on the out side and in not understanding why this happened but what im wondering was what is the proper proceedure to install the outter bearing and race thanks for the help guys

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
On a floater, there are a couple things that happen...installed too tight, or not getting proper lube. I suppose a gross overload might be an issue as well, but not common.

Personally, and many argue this, I grease the hub bearing. Even though they are wet bath, lube may not get to them well, the grease seems to work well. This came from a guy that's got more years working on this stuff than I've been alive, was a Ford service manager for years. I packed mine in my current axle that's been under the truck for 4 years or so and have had no issues. Others say the grease will get in the gear lube, etc. I used synthetic gear lube and grease.

If you don't want to go that route, lift each side of the truck after installation to make sure some gear oil gets out in those hubs, then recheck fill level.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is fully aware of what you are talking about. What he has questions about is the rediculous way GM designed the hubs, namely how the outer race and bearing are held in by a pathetic snap ring. Is there a special procedure to set the outer race prior to installing it on the spindle.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I trust all of the old guts are out at this point?

It's been a few years since I've been into a 1008 but here's something I dug up I think will help.

Remove the bolts and lock washers that attach the axle shaft flange to the hub.
Rap on the flange with a soft faced hammer to loosen the shaft. Grip the rib on the end of the flange with a pair of locking pliers and twist to start shaft removal. Remove the shaft from the axle tube.
The hub and drum assembly must be removed to remove the bearings and oil seals. You will need a large socket to remove and later adjust the bearing adjustment nut.
Remove the locknut retainer, then the locknut.
Remove the adjusting nut from the housing tube.
Remove the thrust washer from the housing tube.
Pull the hub and drum straight off the axle housing.
Remove the oil seal and discard.
Use a hammer and a long drift pin to knock the inner bearing, cup, and oil seal from the hub assembly.
Remove the outer bearing snapring with a pair of pliers. It may be necessary to tap the bearing outer race away from the retaining ring slightly by tapping on the ring to remove the ring.
Drive the outer bearing from the hub with a hammer and drift pin.
To reinstall the bearings, place the outer bearing into the hub. The larger outside diameter of the bearing should face the outer end of the hub. Drive the bearing into the hub using a washer that will cover both the inner and outer races of the bearing. Place a socket on the top of this washer, then drive the bearing into place with a series of light taps. If available, an arbor press should be used for this job.
Drive the bearing past the snapring groove, and install the snapring. Then, turning the hub assembly over, drive the bearing back against the snapring. Again, protect the bearing by placing a washer on top of it. You can use the thrust washer that fits between the bearing and the adjusting nut for this job.
Place the inner bearing into the hub. The thick edge should be toward the shoulder in the hub. Press the bearing into the hub until it seats against the shoulder, using a washer and socket as outlined earlier. Make certain that the bearing is not cocked and that it is fully seated on the shoulder.
Pack the wheel bearings with the grease, and lightly coat the inside diameter of the hub bearing contact surface and the outside diameter of the axle housing tube.
Make sure that the inner bearing, oil seal, axle housing oil deflector, and outer bearing are properly positioned. Install the hub and drum assembly on the axle housing, exercising care so as not to damage the oil seal or dislocate other internal components.
Install the thrust washer so that the tang on the inside diameter of the washer is in the keyway on the axle housing.
Install the adjusting nut. Tighten to 50 ft. lbs., at the same time rotating the hub to make sure that all the bearing surfaces are in contact. Back off the nut and retighten to 35 ft. lbs., then back off 1 /4 of a turn.
Install the tanged retainer against the inner adjusting nut. Align the adjusting nut so that the short tang of the retainer will engage the nearest slot on the adjusting nut.
Install the outer locknut and tighten to 65 ft. lbs. Bend the long tang of the retainer into the slot of the outer nut. This method of adjustment should provide 0.001-0.010 in. of end-play.
Place a new gasket over the axle shaft and position the axle shaft in the housing so that the shaft splines enter the differential side gear. Position the gasket so that the holes are in alignment, and install the flange-to-hub attaching bolts. Tighten to 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm).

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I trust all of the old guts are out at this point?

It's been a few years since I've been into a 1008 but here's something I dug up I think will help.

Remove the bolts and lock washers that attach the axle shaft flange to the hub.
Rap on the flange with a soft faced hammer to loosen the shaft. Grip the rib on the end of the flange with a pair of locking pliers and twist to start shaft removal. Remove the shaft from the axle tube.
The hub and drum assembly must be removed to remove the bearings and oil seals. You will need a large socket to remove and later adjust the bearing adjustment nut.
Remove the locknut retainer, then the locknut.
Remove the adjusting nut from the housing tube.
Remove the thrust washer from the housing tube.
Pull the hub and drum straight off the axle housing.
Remove the oil seal and discard.
Use a hammer and a long drift pin to knock the inner bearing, cup, and oil seal from the hub assembly.
Remove the outer bearing snapring with a pair of pliers. It may be necessary to tap the bearing outer race away from the retaining ring slightly by tapping on the ring to remove the ring.
Drive the outer bearing from the hub with a hammer and drift pin.
To reinstall the bearings, place the outer bearing into the hub. The larger outside diameter of the bearing should face the outer end of the hub. Drive the bearing into the hub using a washer that will cover both the inner and outer races of the bearing. Place a socket on the top of this washer, then drive the bearing into place with a series of light taps. If available, an arbor press should be used for this job.
Drive the bearing past the snapring groove, and install the snapring. Then, turning the hub assembly over, drive the bearing back against the snapring. Again, protect the bearing by placing a washer on top of it. You can use the thrust washer that fits between the bearing and the adjusting nut for this job.
Place the inner bearing into the hub. The thick edge should be toward the shoulder in the hub. Press the bearing into the hub until it seats against the shoulder, using a washer and socket as outlined earlier. Make certain that the bearing is not cocked and that it is fully seated on the shoulder.
Pack the wheel bearings with the grease, and lightly coat the inside diameter of the hub bearing contact surface and the outside diameter of the axle housing tube.
Make sure that the inner bearing, oil seal, axle housing oil deflector, and outer bearing are properly positioned. Install the hub and drum assembly on the axle housing, exercising care so as not to damage the oil seal or dislocate other internal components.
Install the thrust washer so that the tang on the inside diameter of the washer is in the keyway on the axle housing.
Install the adjusting nut. Tighten to 50 ft. lbs., at the same time rotating the hub to make sure that all the bearing surfaces are in contact. Back off the nut and retighten to 35 ft. lbs., then back off 1 /4 of a turn.
Install the tanged retainer against the inner adjusting nut. Align the adjusting nut so that the short tang of the retainer will engage the nearest slot on the adjusting nut.
Install the outer locknut and tighten to 65 ft. lbs. Bend the long tang of the retainer into the slot of the outer nut. This method of adjustment should provide 0.001-0.010 in. of end-play.
Place a new gasket over the axle shaft and position the axle shaft in the housing so that the shaft splines enter the differential side gear. Position the gasket so that the holes are in alignment, and install the flange-to-hub attaching bolts. Tighten to 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm).

;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
u are the man let me tell you exactly what i wanted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online