1356 borg

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tcase is popping out of gear while driveing and linkage appears to be fine what all could be doing this and how much $ we talking to fix the issue.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely it's the range fork inside the tcase. The range fork has nylon guides that allow the range gear to ride in, if they get worn out the gear eats into the aluminum fork, and allows it to pop out of gear. More than likely, the oil pump spun and you have no lubrication.

Parts wise, if the fork is okay, you need the $6 inserts and probably a new bracket for the oil pump. If the fork is toast, I found one for $20 a few weeks ago. Tool wise, you need a good pair of snap ring pliers and lock ring pliers. You can do this yourself, provided you pay attention to how it comes apart. It's easily a day job taking your time.

These guys treated me right....
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/BW1356-Sliders.html

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this a common problem with these or a 1 in a dozen kinda thing and where would be a good place to get the parts at?

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sry didn't see link at bottom of page wonder if transtar would have these then cause I get discount from unoh if they do

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is some what common. Happpened to my truck too, it was the reason I got it so cheap.

I just pulled another tcase to solve the problem. But you can pull the case apart and shim the linkage shaft with washers to keep it from popping out. That's how how I got "fixed" mine for about a year or so. I put another one in for peace of mind and haven't looked back yet.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K thanks guys and 1 more thing would this be the reason it won't go into 4lo

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly if the plate is moving away from the shifting shaft
. Mine would do 4 low but not high.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k mine has 2hi 4hi but won't hold them unless there under load but when it starts grindin I just push it forward and it goes away and all is great

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that bad of a job bit make sure you put everything back in correctly.

Just pull the tcase apart until you get to the shaft that the outer shift linkage connects to. Take it out and find some washers that will lipped the shaft from dropping in the case.

Its honestly easier to get another one.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K so got into lookin at t case and found it really low on fluid so would that cause it to kick out or not?

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U should hook me up its the only thing holdin me back from drivin it