130 amp upgrade question..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a 130 amp alt off of a 96 taurus for cheap. i already have an internal reg alternator, so the pigtail is there, only question is, thre is a white with black stripe wire coming out of the pigtail, and it currently goes to the connector in the output of the alt.. what is that for?

i also have this round..not solenoid but odd thing that has the wires hooked to it, then to the battery.. anyone know what that is? ill take a pic tomorrow.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does a little, but it doesnt have the little plug for the stator wire.... i bought a fuse today

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pics man, I can't quite figure out what you're talking about yet but I have converted numerous vehicles to 3G and I'm pretty sure I can help ya out if I can see what you're looking at.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked up a wiring diagram on the autozone site and it looks like one of the alts did not have the 3rd wire going out of it.. ill take a pic tomorrow. also does anyone know what the "round thing" between the alt (heavy wire ends) and the battery terminal..

actually ill run out and take some now..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it might be the GP relay.. cause there are hot leads that go from the positive terminal to both the starter solenoid and the GP relay

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/79/002wok.jpg

what the alt looks like.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1963/003xzw.jpg

part thats on truck already, no idea what it is or does..

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6870/004xje.jpg

turbo mounted under truck...just for hell of it..

also i need a pulley that isnt as deep as original one. i only get about a suqrter inch of threads on it. any ideas where to get one that would work?

You could always try and trace the wire to see where the other end goes. There was something like that on my old truck when I got it a long time ago, and it was a circuit breaker for trailer wiring, you might see if it goes to a trailer plug or a brake box.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

what the alt looks like.

That ain't the one we usually put in these trucks, but it looks like it could work the same way - do you have a plug somewhere in the side of the alternator where you could put in a spade connector? That's where the white wire should go... Look hard, the thing has to be there somewhere, maybe even on the back side of the alternator?

part thats on truck already, no idea what it is or does..

My vote goes for a thermal circuit breaker. With only two studs, it ain't no relay, that's for sure. The yellow wire attached to it, does it go to the 3-prong plug for the alternator?

turbo mounted under truck...just for hell of it..
Pretty cool, have you fabbed up the rest of the plumbing for it?

also i need a pulley that isnt as deep as original one. i only get about a suqrter inch of threads on it. any ideas where to get one that would work?
Are you still using that lock-washer? If yes dump it, and use thread-lock compound instead, it's a common practice for 3G swaps and the 3G shaft simply ain't as long as the 1G.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the pulley that I am using came from an old 10si delco that I had mounted on a tractor at one time or another, it is a smaller diameter pulley and the center thickness is thinner to allow you to properly tighten the nut. I would recommend if you have any local generator shops, you just go there and ask if you can look through some of there old pulleys or see if they have an old one that fits what you need, surely it wouldn't cost you more than a couple dollars, I think you can buy them new for around $12 or something.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ain't the one we usually put in these trucks, but it looks like it could work the same way - do you have a plug somewhere in the side of the alternator where you could put in a spade connector? That's where the white wire should go... Look hard, the thing has to be there somewhere, maybe even on the back side of the alternator?

My vote goes for a thermal circuit breaker. With only two studs, it ain't no relay, that's for sure. The yellow wire attached to it, does it go to the 3-prong plug for the alternator?

Pretty cool, have you fabbed up the rest of the plumbing for it?

Are you still using that lock-washer? If yes dump it, and use thread-lock compound instead, it's a common practice for 3G swaps and the 3G shaft simply ain't as long as the 1G.

it is a 4g alt, the diagrams that was posted (on the link in here, forget who posted it) has no stator wire on the 4g, gotta be it.

thats what i was thinking, guess its a good safety feature, ill just put a 150 amp fuse in there. and yes yellow goes to one of the prongs on alt.

i have exhaust mostly done, will be 4 inch, well 3.5 inch to 4 inch, only about 2 inches will be 3.5 enough to weld a reducer to go onto so i can take it to 4.. oil supply should be done today, as well as return (just bought the fittings) im waiting for silicone couplers to finish it, should get those..tuesday or wednesday.

no lock washer, im going to try and machine out enough to get it to go on. i have a spare pulley to practice on.. just in case..

and on connecting the alt.. should i go directly from the alternator output to a fuse then to the battery? and if so, should i try to run 2 wires, one wire to each battery?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online