$1200 idi update: Hydrolock, paint job, tires, general carnage pics.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
So this thing has been through a lot already since I've had it. Actually, I've been through a lot! It started off with a head gasket job, starter, glow plugs and she was running pretty good. I must've put a little over 1000 hard miles on it. The dang thing always smoked from one cylinder when cold. RIP, anyway it's coming out tomorrow. I must've popped a head gasket yesterday trying to start it. It rained really super ******* Tuesday as it was sitting outside with the front clip off. When i went to start it Wednesday she locked up quick and broke the snout on the starter. The knuckleheaded part of the situation is that I was thinking about water getting into the intake when I was at work tuesday, but completely forgot it ever rained come Wednesday. Since the starter was broke it wouldn't engage the flywheel. Anyways, today I put another starter in it and got it running after pulling the glow plugs and pumping out all the rainwater. The worst thing out of this, is that it leaks coolant now out of the drivers side head gasket. Before I get to far ahead of my self here's the starter.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last week I started its make over. The plan is a red/beige two tone. I'm using a single stage paint by montana. What a learning curve, I've had orange peel, runs, and lots of dust so far :(

I wire wheeled the frame and painted it. Took the bed off to paint the back of the cab/ front of box. Also painted the door jambs, etc. The new red is soooo bright!'

Here's the unhappy motor almost ready to be pulled. Good thing i've got a spare! (hopefully it's a good one!)

Here's the beige that will make up the center strip :)))

Oh, and here's my purdy new tires! $$ 315/75/16

Tomorrow I'll yank the engine, and Saturday the greasy one goes in. Stay tuned!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
OK, so the hydrolock busted the starter and head gasket. Did it run OK otherwise? Maybe just a HG replacement is all that is needed, unless you really want to find out how well the replacement engine runs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hell some JB Weld and that starters GOOD as NEW, hell throw that on Ebay ...

On a side not that is an impressive looking build so far. Those tyres will look great on that truck!

Keep up with pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might want to look closely at the adapter plate the starter bolts too. I have read where those have broken off too from hydrolocks. I will caution you about bent rods too. The heads off is a great time to look and measure if any of them ar bent. They will be lower in the cylinders. Also those pistons might be cracked too on the hydrolocked cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online