#1 Diesel

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was filling up the truck today and noticed that they had #1 at the pump. Its been getting somewhat cold around here, dipping below freezing over night, so I thought maybe I should put a light blend in one tank, but I didn't do it.

What temps do you guys start to run blends and/or straight #1?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
When ever the stations around me switch over....we don't get an option...if I did I would run #2 and dose the snot out of it with winter blend power service.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't offer both 1 and 2 in the winter for you??

The place I was at had #2 for 3.69 and # for 3.99. I added a bit of power-service to this tank.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
No choice around here either, I use whatever is offered (and they don't tell you) and hope for the best

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We dont have number 1 available right now. Im running a soy enhanced diesel and it doesnt seem to jell till way below zero. I saw a test that said modern number 2 doesnt jell till around -17 but if it is clouded it will clog your filter. we get a choice of #2 or #1 for the first part of winter then it'll all be #1.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Why would they offer #1 when winter blend #2 is plenty sufficient? Only time weve had any problems with fuel gelling is on the vehicles that get driven so rarely they still have summer blend in them during the winter, even then its only the box trucks that have the problem (exposed fuel tanks)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far I have never sen what we get here in so cal. I pump what we get and really can't make a choice of 1 or 2. But I will be looking to see whats going into my tank today...:sly

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you don't see below freezing temps to often do you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just get whats in the pumps here in CT

You can usually tell by the price, I drive through Manchester everyday and one extra mart has diesel at 3.99 and the other extra mart is at 4.13. Maybe one has #1 and one has #2?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Where I live a freeze is seldom or never. It gets cold but not for very long compared to most other places members live on this forum. We can grow vegetables year round in our yard. We have a scale 9 or 10 growing season. So if we freeze it may only be for a few hours at best. Sun up and its above freezing fast. I still don't know if my fuel heater is needed or how long it stays on or how much it actually does warm up the fuel in the filter.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live a freeze is seldom or never. It gets cold but not for very long compared to most other places members live on this forum. We can grow vegetables year round in our yard. We have a scale 9 or 10 growing season. So if we freeze it may only be for a few hours at best. Sun up and its above freezing fast. I still don't know if my fuel heater is needed or how long it stays on or how much it actually does warm up the fuel in the filter.

You know until I tore my motor down to do head gaskets, I didn't even know my 6.9 had a fuel heater, these in line ones don't seam like it can actually help all that much. I should have kept the filter assembly off my 7.3 and used that.