'06 3500 tranny

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
A friend of mine is thinking of buying an '06 3500 Cummins, with the auto trans. He asked if I new where to find out how the newer trans held up with towing, I thought one of you guys could help me out. So what are the pros and cons, I know more of the Ford diesels myself, and I moved north and lost contact with alot of my old cummins friends.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Aaron

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
And even then, it's only available in the chassis cab trucks. It's a completely different animal from the 6 speed auto in the 2500/3500 pickups, which is called the 68RE

thomas70

Reaction score
I've had no problem with mine, the 04 3500 I had the dealer put 3 in it before they bought the truck back with 46,000 miles on it. I have noticed some differances in the tranny's performance over the 04.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the transmission on the '06 different than the one on the '04?

I have only 28,500 on my '06 with 6-speed manual transmission, but have had no problems with it. Pull 10k-12k with the truck occasionally... horses. Never had a problem, and I've "goofed off" with the truck when the trailer was empty. Have spun tires taking off from a slow roll in 2nd with the gooseneck hooked up. Drive more sanely most of the time.

klichwil

Reaction score
The 48RE Tranny came out in 03, but in 04.5 to mid 07 the 48RE had an electric kickdown instead of the cable. This made it much more efficient. A HUGE problem with these trannys is the pressure sensors and solenoids have bad problems. Common problems are loss of 1st gear and/or a bad hunting after the 1st and 2nd shift. There is a fix for it. Don't waste the time throwing new sensors and solenoids in it!!! They make a "GM Control Kit". It comes with a forged machined aluminum body and GM pressure solenoid with a pigtail adapter. This is THE way to go to kill the main problems with the 48RE. Other than that it is a good tranny. just change fluid and filter with Mopar fluid every 25k and check band adjustment, but band adjustment is not a huge deal on these is all is working ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7