'04 6.0 with bio

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
I'm interested in starting to use homemade bio but don't have a clue where to start i have read quite a bit a tds about it but i'm lookin for a start to finish instructions with materials needed. is this wishfull thinking or is there somekind of book or something to help me out. Not to mention most of the guys i see using it have a 7.3. any help would be great.

Dan

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
girl mark on here is a bio diesel user/brewer hopefully they will stop by and throw in a couple of cents... I read on girl mark's site that they travel around giving shows on it. So it seems to me they are the ones to speak with. They hang out in the IDI section. Might drop 'em a pm to see if they will come over to this thread.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that piece of crap that Stacey used the other day is an over priced fire hazard. They use plastic tanks and there have been fires reported from its use.

You can build an "appleseed" for about 400 bucks (onthe high end) and it wont catch on fire or melt on you!

6.0's are still a little on the "experimental" side. The trucks have a very high injection pressure, and it has caused some problems for guys running 100% bio-d, however with even just a gallon of diesel mixed in, the problems seem to go away.

Its also been theorized that poor grade bio-D is the cause of the problem, and the 6.0s are just more susceptible to bad fuel than the 7.3 is.

Start at 50% and then as you get to know your truck, increase your ratio until you see a drop in performance or reliablilty, then cut it back a couple percent.

sagebel

Reaction score
If you are going to do this, buy girl_Mark's book. It has everything you need to know. My entire setup cost me around $450. That is including everything I needed from collection barrels to final filtering.

Scott

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

thanks for the plug for my book and all.

So, yes, we have weird problems OCCASIONALLY on 6.0's, and no one knows why. It looks like the times when this has happened, it might have been 'off-spec' fuel, but again, I dont have a sample of what any of the peopel were running and no one's tested the fuel that I know of. However, blends of biodiesel and petrodiesel seem to do just fine as could be expected.

The symptoms of the 6.0/B100 biodiesel problem (B100 = 100% biodiesel, B50- 50%/50% biodiesel and petroleum diesel mix, B20- 20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum diesel) are that people see strange sorts of fuel filter clogging- little particles fill up their filter until they add some diesel- there's a guess that the high pressure somehow causes some biodiesel or some contaminant in that biodiesel to break down and form sediments. This is different than the 'normal' filter clogging that everyone else with biodiesel MAY experience when we first start using biodiesel or SVO (biodiesel cleans out caked on crap in your fuel system, so for the first tankful, you may see the filter clog if there was a lot of sludge in your fuel tank- this is DIFFERENT than what the 6.0 problems seems to be)

Here's mine and many others' website on how to make biodiesel:

www.localb100.com/cbt
It's a little like 'tech articles' here- people from all over the world wrote the articles.

Also, the book Sagebel is referring to is here:

www.localb100.com/book.html

The 'tour' thing was last fall, I'm not doing it this year unfortunately.

Mark

Last edited:

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
girl mark on here is a bio diesel user/brewer hopefully they will stop by and

Girl Mark is a "she" by the way. The 'mark' part is a nickname.

Mark

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
girl mark said:
Girl Mark is a "she" by the way. The 'mark' part is a nickname.

Mark

:oops: :sorry: Didn't know... Thought maybe you were a tag team operation by the screen name. My applogies.

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problem. I expect people to be confused, at this point!

Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70