01 dually hop ups

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am asking for some recommendations on the most popular and or user friendly mods for a buddies 2001 dually 4x4 auto. I havent done any cummins and he wants to have me do the buying and legwork. So I am turning to tthe great oilburners forum that has helped me on my 7.3 questions. WHat brand of chip mod, exhaust, tranny mods till rebuild time and so on.
Thanks very much in advance
russ

on edit, Is anyone going to tell me what works :confused:

Last edited:

Turbo Tim 1

Reaction score
My truck is a manual so I can't help with the tranny but from everything I've heard you can do very little with the stock auto. I started with an Edge Comp and left it on level 3 or 5 all the time, then I put in injectors and now I leave the box off. A set of 80 hp injectors does a nice job and when you add a box it really makes it go. I would say with the auto though that you only get one mod before tranny upgrade.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Guages, Tranny, Fuel Preasure, Boost, Pyro. You dont want FP to fall below 13 at wide open throttle. Then of course you want to open up exhaust and intake, loose the silencer ring as well. With a stock auto a Smarty or equal is going to be about it. That is roughly 60hp. If it is a good trans and he upgrades to a Triple disc TC and valve body he can handle up to 500+ at the wheels. Dave Goerend has a great Triple with lifetime warrenty for $1200. Run that with a Transgo shift kit and he will be fine. Of course he will also need to upgrade the lift pump or add a pusher. The vulcan big line kits is a very nice addition with relocating the Lp back bye the tank. If it was mine I would install a Goerend TC, Transgo kit, vulcan kit, Smarty and a set of 150 sticks. Now this has you needing a charger. For that I would recomend an HTT 64 or 66. This should put him to almost 500rwhp. If he wants more maybe a TST PM3 stacked with the Smarty. These are close to my plans.

Ispro gauges
4" exhaust
AFE Intake
Vulcan
HTT turbos
Smarty
Transgo Shift kits
Goerend brothers transmissions
Edge Jammer injectors
TST

Hope This helps
Andy

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, he is just looking for a little more when the TT is hooked up. We figured first, exhaust and air intake, then I have heard the lift pump horror stories and when they go hunting it is really out in the sticks. So i will see what goes and thanks again :thumbsup:
Russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726