PCM problem please help

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start I have a 94 f250 7.3l with an e40d (daily driver). In another was asking advice on my tachometer going out. Since I do not have anytime to do any troubleshooting or mess around with the truck I took it to the dealership, I know, because they are close to work and the mechanic I like is 30-45 min away. Plus I was thinking it was loose wire or something easy right? Well they are saying my PCM is completely shot and want to charge me $1100 and wait a week for the part. My question is this a pretty easy fix, ie an amateur like me can take care of it? Also any recommendations on where I get a PCM cheaper than $990,the dealerships quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You DON'T have a PCM. You've got an IDI NOT a PSD. What's the problem anyhow? I have a Nephew in Lexington who is an Oncologist, might as well take the truck to him instead of the dealer. Link your other thread to here. Is the problem your tach? If it is, you have an EEC lV for the E4OD control, and they surely don't cost $990. Just maybe the dealer don't know how to pull the codes from it. Damn few dealerships know much about these old IDI's.

Edit: Found your 1st post. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?65965-Tach-out-plus-new-leak-are-they-related.

I guess this is what your problem is.
The tach sensor is located on the IP (Injector Pump) gear housing, thats where the engine oil fill is at, see pic, it's behind the oil fill spout and black hose. The two wire's coming out if it usually get the insulation broken off, they can short out, then the tach won't work, the two wires have a pluggin connector, the connector gets corroded and needs to be cleaned, unscrew the sensor, they can pickup metal shavings and make them inoperatable, just clean it. the tach also has a relay just hanging down on the drivers side close to the firewall, contacts on that could also be bad. You cannot measure any voltage from the sensor, it's an AC signal, need an oscilloscope to see it. The tach sensor is a dealer only part, unless you find one on Ebay, cost is $89 from dealer. I've got a new one for $75 shipped. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• DVC01529[1].JPG
    DVC01529[1].JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm pulling it out of dealership, I just can't afford that bill at the moment. I will say after reading your post I called the guy I was working with and asked about why he is saying I have a PCM. He told me " both the pre-powerstroke and powerstroke have a PCM. However the pre-powerstroke do not have an injector control module" that's exactly what he told me. He also he told me when they where diagnosing the problem they by-passed the "PCM" ( his words) and the tach was working fine. So the sensor works. He said that if they left the wiring that way the truck would not shift at all. So my next question is what did they bypass?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a electrical diagram for the 94, I'll try and see if Azone has one.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much now I just have to find the time. I let you all know how it goes. I'll take pics as well

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much now I just have to find the time. I let you all know how it goes. I'll take pics as well

I deleted the last ebay part, was for a manual trans. only.

You might even call the junk yards, see if they have any.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm pulling it out of dealership, I just can't afford that bill at the moment. I will say after reading your post I called the guy I was working with and asked about why he is saying I have a PCM. He told me " both the pre-powerstroke and powerstroke have a PCM. However the pre-powerstroke do not have an injector control module" that's exactly what he told me.
It's a matter of wording really: PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module, aka the computer that controls the engine and transmission in a vehicle where both engine and transmission have electronics in them. In case of the IDI trucks the engine itself has no electronic controls, the computer in question only runs the E4OD transmission - Ford used to call it a TECA (stands for Transmission Electronic Control Assembly if I remember correctly), now most folks call it a TCM (Transmission Control Module) so kinda like a PCM but for the transmission only. If it controlled the engine only and not the transmission, as was the case with most '80s vehicles with fuel-injected engines but non-electronic automatic transmissions (AOD, C6, TH350 and TH400, TF727, etc.) then it's called an ECM (Engine Control Module).

Personally I think it's just nitpicking, cause even on newer stick-shift vehicles where the PCM in question still only controls the engine (and thus technically is only an ECM) it's still called a PCM - I don't really give a darn what the politically correct term for the thing is, if the dealership calls it a PCM and the parts stores call it a PCM then that's what I'm calling it too. You should have seen a thread on here a few months ago, people got so picky about what to call the stupid thing they completely ignored the actual question regarding it... So yeah, like the dealership mechanic said, you do have a PCM, it just controls the transmission only, and has no injectors or high-pressure pump controls built in it.

He also he told me when they where diagnosing the problem they by-passed the "PCM" ( his words) and the tach was working fine. So the sensor works. He said that if they left the wiring that way the truck would not shift at all. So my next question is what did they bypass?
What they bypassed was the entire PCM. The way the system is wired the signal from the tach sensor on the engine goes into the PCM via one wire, then from the PCM it exits via another wire and then goes into the tachometer gauge on the dash. If the PCM is not powered, or has internal issues, it will not "copy" the tach sensor signal and send it out towards the tachometer gauge, thus you end up with the gauge reading zero all the time, the needed does not even attempt to move. So I bet what the dealership did was unplug the harness from the PCM, then jump the two wires that carry the tach signal in and out of the PCM, effectively connecting the tach sensor directly to the gauge on the dash. It's the same thing people do when they swap an E4OD out for whatever manual transmission fancies their tastes. Why Ford deemed it necessary to have the PCM act as a middleman I don't know, maybe if the PCM is wired in parallel with the gauge the signal is not strong enough to run both at the same time, and therefore the engineers decided to feed the PCM the full signal and then use the PCM itself as an amplifier so the gauge also gets nice and strong signal? No idea, and I no longer have an E4OD transmission to experiment what happens when the PCM and the gauge are wired in parallel...

All that said there is no way replacing a PCM costs $1100 unless the PCM itself costs nearly $1k - getting to the PCM is actually fairly easy and should not take more than an hour. However if the PCM is indeed dead as a door nail then your truck won't be very pleasant to drive at all - you will only have 2nd and 4th gear (well, and reverse too), and you'll have to shift them manually, and she will shift so hard she will shake quite violently. If you have no such behavior, and truck shifts just fine, then I suppose it's possible the only part of the PCM that went dead is the amplifier or whatever that is responsible for forwarding the tach sensor signal to the gauge. In which case you'd still need a new PCM if you want your tach to work, but at least it won't have to be done like right now. You can confirm this by scanning the PCM for diagnostics trouble codes (DTCs), you'll need a scan tool for that but those can be had fairly cheap these days, like under $50 cheap - actually I think if you like the truck and plan on keeping it for a while you should buy such a scan tool anyways, as they can be invaluable for pinpointing issues down the road.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. That was very insightful and helpful. I do agree semantics tend to get in the way when dealing with things like this. I personally do not care what it is called, call it the thingy- mibober, as long as we can agree on what it means. However that being said there is something to be said about a dealership that even call the pieces of its own product the correct name. Any who. Back to the point at hand. The dealership was going to charge $990 for the "PCM" and 3 hrs labor plus wait a week and half to get the part or pay $150 and get it in 5 days. I decided to go the eBay route and do it myself. I'll post some pics when I get to it. However this does beg the question ( for me at least) where is this damn thing located? I have read in the cab and also I have read I have to remove the entire left fender( granted not on this website) but a little point in the right direction would be appreciated.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the driver side of the firewall, if you stand in front of the truck with the hood open and look about a foot right below the driver-side hood hinge there will be a harness connector roughly 1" wide by 4" tall with a bolt right in the middle of it - this is the connector for the PCM, unthreading that bolt (takes 10mm socket) will actually pull the connector off the PCM and thus disconnect the harness for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly the dealer is killing you on time and money for that part. Several members on this forum have installed after market trans controller and really like them. The name Bauman comes to mind but there are others too. The location in behind the drivers side kick panel behind the parking brake peddle. Remove the plastic panel. Then there is the controller looking at you. Its about 4x6 inches.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Half(all) the Ford dealerships around me cant even work on a 7.3 power stroke let alone an IDI. ITs too old.

IDI to a Power stroke is like Points ignition to an computer controlled coil on plug ignition system.

Time to find another shop....permanently. Or a local forum member to help out.

Maybe its time to find time to hit the local junk yard. I needed a fan controller for my mini van - $15.00 at the local yard.

Wrenchin with beers and buds is always better than waiting in a show room.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You might want to contact towcat because he is scrapping a 94 E4OD rig so he may have the pcm you need. Wont hurt to pm him.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got my new ECM/PCM/EEC-IV in today and popped it into the truck and.... Nothing same problem. No tachometer. However i did notice that the needle moves a couple 100 rpm when I start the engine. So I thought old EEC not tach ( FYI I broke open the original EEC out of my truck and say nothing out of place, no burns scorches or anything loose) and new EEC and no tach so it must not be the EEC. So I ran a continuity test from the tach sensor plug to EEC plug all good there. I took off the sensor and did not see any shavings or damage. So my question is: is there any other place I can look to see what would cause me to have no tach. The only other thing is that the eec's had completely different number on them could this be the issue.
Picture of the original EEC out of my truck
You must be registered for see images attach

And this is the EEC I got today
You must be registered for see images attach

Could this be the problem? I would think the tach would run it just would communicate correctly to the rest of the electronics? If not then what? Please help thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk