TPS help needed quick

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
So the other day i lowered my idle speed and had to readjust my TPS voltage setting. i set it back to the .99v that it was at before i lowered the idle and it won't shift until 2,800-3,000 rpm. before i changed the idle it shifted nice and smooth around 2,400-2,600 rpm. right now it is set at .93V and it is still shifting late. I know i am setting it right b/c i set it to .99v when i did my IP change and it worked great.

I am thinking about getting a new TPS b/c i hear they should be replaced every 50,000-60,000 miles. i don't know for sure how many miles are on this tps but i know the PO put more than 60,000 miles on the truck while he had it and he never changed it.

also when i get the idle set to lets say .99v, i tighten the mounting bolts, move the throttle lever and once it returns back to idle the voltage is 1.08-1.09v. does this mean it is time to change my TPS.

Thanks in advace.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your voltage settings are wrong. The min max is .96 to 1.2 volts. I run as high as 1.28 volts and my shifts are late to most feelings but thts where I like it. Usually I set the tps for 1.25 volts. The lower the voltage the softer the shifts. Now about the tps switch being worn. All they are is a wire grid that has a pointer rubbing across it. Think about how many times your throttle moves every mile you drive. The 50 to 60 thousand miles is about the time to replace them. The actually make a special snapon digital meter that will test the tps and tell you if they are shot. I've seen them used once on my rig many years ago. No idea what they cost or what they are either. The tpc is only around $20.00.... Make sure you install the new one on the correct side of the driver tang on the throttle shaft. It needs to be kinda wound up to work properly. It will have some spring pressure on it when its installed correctly.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Your voltage settings are wrong. The min max is .96 to 1.2 volts. I run as high as 1.28 volts and my shifts are late to most feelings but thts where I like it. Usually I set the tps for 1.25 volts. The lower the voltage the softer the shifts. Now about the tps switch being worn. All they are is a wire grid that has a pointer rubbing across it. Think about how many times your throttle moves every mile you drive. The 50 to 60 thousand miles is about the time to replace them. The actually make a special snapon digital meter that will test the tps and tell you if they are shot. I've seen them used once on my rig many years ago. No idea what they cost or what they are either. The tpc is only around $20.00.... Make sure you install the new one on the correct side of the driver tang on the throttle shaft. It needs to be kinda wound up to work properly. It will have some spring pressure on it when its installed correctly.

Thanks

My thing now though is when i set it at .99v it wont be shifting into O/D until around 60mph before i changed the idle speed it would shift into O/D at 45. i have to really baby the throttle when i accel from a stop or it will take each gear past 3,000 rpm.:dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I wonder if i should put my idle rpm back to where it was and reset my tps to .99v. i am really kicking my self for lowering the idle speed now since i had my truck running good. now i have a job and i need a reliable truck that will work everytime i turn the key.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Idle rpm should be 750 for E4OD's.

Thanks. i guess that is my problem. i did go to carquest and ordered a new TPS beacuse i figured it would be time for a new one anyway. once i go back and pick it up later i am going to increase my idle rpm. i had already thought of increasing my idle rpm back to where it was.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To adjust idle rpm you need to open the throttle so the adjustment screw and spring are visible to the screw driver. That is how your making this adjustment isn't it.:sly:dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
To adjust idle rpm you need to open the throttle so the adjustment screw and spring are visible to the screw driver. That is how your making this adjustment isn't it.:sly:dunno

i did not open the throttle to get to the idle screw. i was able to get to it with the the throttle closed (at idle). is that the wrong way to do it? i was also making my adjustment to idle rpm with te engine running. is that right?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well i got my new TPS and put it on, i wanted to set it at .99v but all i could get was 1.03v. i don't know why i set it to .99v then cycle the throttle and then the idle is 1.03v and it stays there/:dunno.

I did set my idle rpm back to ~775-800.

The tranny does shift pretty good now though. it does shift a little later than i would like but at least now it is drivable. sometime next week i will try to get it to stay at .98-.99v.

Thanks for all the help.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump. Does it have the double spring return spring on the passenger side of the throttle cable hookup. Also is the throttle settleing back to the original position when you rev it abd allow it to idle. Try removing the throttle cable and rev it up. then let it idle and see if anything is differant. You may have a binding throttle cable. They don't last forever...:D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump.just replaced it with reman this past march. Does it have the double spring return spring on the passenger side of the throttle cable hookup.Yes. Also is the throttle settleing back to the original position when you rev it abd allow it to idle.Pretty sure it is. Try removing the throttle cable and rev it up. then let it idle and see if anything is differant.I will try that next week. You may have a binding throttle cable. They don't last forever...:D

i answered the questions and this is just b/c a reply needs a certian number of characters to submit the reply.LOL

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well today i readjusted my TPS to 1.00V idle and a idle rpm of ~775-800. tranny shifts good again. idle speed sounds good. the throttle response is much better also. last saturday i drove it to work before i really got my TPS dialed in and it took almost half of the throttle pedal movement to get the truck moving. now you can practically blow on the throttle and the truck moves.

It is kind of crazy with these trucks how just one sensor that is a tad out of wack will make the difference between a truck that is fun to drive and a truck that you don't want to drive. now i want to drive my truck again. I guess everything is a learning experience with these trucks.LOL But hey i am just fine with that.;Sweet

Last edited:

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your WOT voltage? I am assuming that if you are 1.0-3.0 then the TPS will increase the voltage quicker than if you are 1.0-4.0. I would like to know because I might want to adjust mine closer to yours if you say you are getting really good response and performance from it.

Thanks.