Idle Speed?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
For the truck in my sig what is spec for the idle speed once the cold idle turns off. mine idles around ~750-800 on factory tach. just currious b/c i saw a pic of the dashboard in a '97 PSD and it was idleing around 600. i know these are two completey different engines but just wondering what you guys idle at.

Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the solid flywheel conversion or have bolted your original flywheel together and have the noise from your zf 5 speed, increasing the idle speed a little bit really helps the tranny noise go away.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Mines always 650, pretty sure its the spec. Pretty sure the drivers side flip down visor states cold and warm idle, but I pulled them out long ago...

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
So it sounds like my idle is a touch high then.

how might i go about lowering the idle speed?

The adjustment screw is on the pass side on the IP, on the throttle lever that the cable attaches to. It just takes a flat head screwdriver. In/clockwise raises and out/counterclockwise lowers it IIRC.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At the 2009 rally Mel set my new moose pump at 650 rpm. I prefer 750 rpm so I have set it for that... Factory specs are 650 rpm I believe...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well this evening i lowered my idle speed but could only get it to about 700rpm b/c the throttle lever bottomed out on te cold idle solenoid. It does sound better though and i like it better.

Once i moved my idle i saw my O/D light flashing. I thought oh crap, but then i realized that my TPS probly needs to be readjusted. sure enough thats what it was. at my previous idle it was set at .99V. once i moved the idle it was .61V. So i re-adjsuted the voltage on my TPS to 1.00V. i test drove it and it was hanging on to each gear a little longer than i would like or need. i did like the firmness of the shifts though. so tomorrow i will try to get my TPS back to .98-.99V and go from there.