Cant use just any hose...

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
or strange things happen. I bumped my return lines while changing valve cover gaskets on my 86. I didn't have enough of the hose that came with the kit so I used some other hose I had in my collection. It swelled and twisted, it didn't appear to leak but was causing the truck to start and stall in the morning. I did get more of the correct hose and now everything works properly again. I just thought it was weird the way this hose reacted to diesel fuel.
You must be registered for see images attach

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
diesel is an oil based fuel. What happened was over a little time the rubber hose soaked up the oil in the fuel and made it swell. Its probably squishy too.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate the return line cloth stuff on the truck and my old vw.

So I use that semi clear thicker walled fuel rated hose anywhere I can now so I can see bubbles, etc.

I think it works pretty good, mccaster car has some nicer thicker walled stuff that has retained its form after a year of real world use on my old jetta. Not the cheapest lawnmower fuel line you can get on ebay or at kragen.

They also might have it at your local hardware store in limited sizes.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The good stuff will say "SAE 30R9" and/or "for fuel injection systems". Gonna be a few bucks more but it's worth it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That cloth hose is very good ,IF it is the german stuff, if not its suspect.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Transparent yellow Tygon (R), NAPA carries it- never worry again + you can see any bubbles... Good for between filter & IP also.;Sweet

how did you hook this between filter and ip? did you just cut and clamp on metal lines or buy certain fittings

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Looks like vacumme hose:dunno

It probably was, I just used the first hose I could find that would fit and get me back on the road. My friend had the other half of the return line kit for this truck. I did get the correct hose back on there, just had to use the vacumn hose for a couple days to stay mobile.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
how did you hook this between filter and ip? did you just cut and clamp on metal lines or buy certain fittings

Yes and yes-:D.. I'm no longer running the stock filter head, but at the same location is a big in-line 10 micron canister style filter- (the 20 micron filter is down by the facet e-pump on the frame rail) any way, on the IP I have replaced the stock fitting with a male brass NPSF to female NPT bushing, then male NPT/hose barb fitting. The only difference if you retained the stock filter head would be to use those same two fittings coming off the filter head in lieu of the steel pipe & its leaky fittings... Or you could just hack saw out the main portion of the pipe and use hose clamps with the Tygon on the leftover ends- but that would be too easy-LOL. All return lines on top of the engine are a smaller diameter of Tygon, sized appropriately. Hose clamps are not needed/unused between injectors due to the tight fit/lack of stretchiness of the material. Coming up on two years now with this setup and it has not yet leaked a drop of fuel or sucked a bubble of air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online