Turbo exhaust elbow modification

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!!

So after being directed to this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36100, i decided to attempt it.

I started today and here are the pics of the progress:

Cut here
You must be registered for see images attach

Rough line of what i have to grind

After about 30-40 minutes of grinding away

And here it is all ready for welding, which i will be doing tomorrow at work.

And a little bit of truth ;p

Basically gonna have an exhaust shop do a custom 3" downpipe into a 4" straight exhaust.

So far i got about $35 into it.

Ill update as i go along! :D

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, as long as you can weld that V-band flange on there without it warping (tried that on something with my old Thunderbird, warped the flange really bad).

There's a guy that does something exactly like that for Ford 2.3L turbo cars. The factory cast iron elbow is very similar to the ones on these trucks (except points in a different direction due to turbo orientation) with a 2.5" outlet. He cuts it off, and attaches a stainless 3" elbow to it, to which you can attach whatever sort of fitting or outlet you want.

I welded a slip fit connector on mine and used an accuseal type clamp on it, worked really well.

motoshop

Reaction score
Post more pics tomorrow once you get it welded together. I just purchased that same flange kit and am going the same direction, but I may use a PSD down pipe and buy a universal stack kit for it. I'd like to see the finished product though and see how the flange came out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Were did you get the flange? i need one too, im going to attempt this aswell

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice modification! Something for the Factory turbo guys to improve their exhaust flow and another option other than the ATS mod.

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
did it come with a flange to weld onto the downpipe so it can be clamped on?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dyoung you can buy complete v-band flange kits with clamp...

Just search 3" vband kit or something like that.

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one i bought is a kit. 2 flanges and a clamp. I got the mild steel one, there are some that are stainless.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The one i bought is a kit. 2 flanges and a clamp. I got the mild steel one, there are some that are stainless.

So that kit will have on flange for the outlet? and one flange for the downpipe? and the clamp?

And its better to get mild steel i guess, cause i have never welded stainless nor do i think i have the welding equipment

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that kit will have on flange for the outlet? and one flange for the downpipe? and the clamp?

And its better to get mild steel i guess, cause i have never welded stainless nor do i think i have the welding equipment

Stainless welds just like regular steel, it's not a big deal or anything...only thing is that if you don't use stainless rods the welds will rust while the rest of it won't.

jmac212

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welding stainless is not as daunting as it may seem, depending on the process used and your skill/comfort level with said process. TIG, MIG, and Stick are three of the most common processes. If you have a wire feed mig and the correct gas, it welds very similar to mild steel. A spool gun could also be used. TIG is my choice if you have the equipment and the skill. Stick is an option, although not the most desirable for this application.

Hey Portuga, i notice you are just around the corner from me. I am in Buckingham. If you ever want to swap ideas, or need a welder while not at work, or just want tell stories and drink a beer, PM me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online