New Performance Cams for IDI, Not a Regrind. Interest??

DragRag

Reaction score
Well, I have a company that is willing to take on this project. They are willing to do new cams from a new Billet. They will design the lobes as we direct them to based on the performance level that we would want. I want to do this job based on advanced timing of 9-10 degree minimum, a turned up pump, or Moose pump, performance injectors, or at least a good matched set, and a turbo. These guys work with cummins already, so they know diesel.

Here is what I need from you guys, this site being the premier IDI site have pioneered and made a house hold name of moose. We want to continue that idea that this is the premier site for IDI and that this is the site that innovation comes from for this family of engines. I have a low mileage engine that is out, and I am willing to put a cam in that before I install it in the truck it will reside in. All that being said, I need to know who is going to be in on this. I don't want a maybe, I want a firm commitment on this. If we can get a good amount of pre orders we can get it done.
Update-
The buy-in price is $780 for each cam.

I would like your input on what you want from this cam. I would like to know how much performance we are going to really try and get out of this. Your input is needed, and wanted if you are wanting to make this happen, now is the time. Save your nickels there isn't always someone who is willing to do this type of work. Let hear your ideas of what you want, and if you really want one and are committed put your name up. All I ask is that if you want one and speak for one once it is ordered that is it, it is yours. I really can't afford to eat a bunch of cams that are going to sit in my garage. ic an only use so much myself. We are not asking for money now, I will let you know when it is time to order if this happens, and that is when the commitment is, not now. As of now this is the time to raise your hand for one, and give input only.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well id like russ to come out of the closet a bit with what he does that way we wont make 2 similar cams at least chime in saying ya thats not even close ya know
but id like advanced timing, more torque, higher avaible rpms, and less bbgasser sound
im in with this long as price is good
i already got one from russ but see more idis in the future

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I will take one but... As most here need to know what the final price will be. I can justify around $400.00 to $500.00 per cam but thats me.... Not everyone else. As for asking for a particular grind.... Nope..... I couldn't say exactly what I want... We still don't know if the piston is chasing the valves or the other way around nor do we know what the clearance is between the two... Someone needs to degree in a stock cam with the clearances taken in the cylinders. Then and only then will we have some solid limits to work with. I like the possibilitys about going ahaed with this.... Are you going to be "the middle man" and are we going to be paying you to walk these cams over to us.....:eek::rotflmao:angel: Jus kidden ya... I appersiate what your doing.. Kinda the grass routes effect going on here.....:thumbsup::hail

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested depending on who the grinder will be.
I had a very bad experience with a new grinder in the past with Buick 455 cams. The material was too soft and the lobes got wiped out in less than a year. This was also a custom group buy thing. Needless to say, there was a few pissed off guys and noone to make good on it.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there a few questions I have. will this new cam require different push rods, lifters, rockers, and springs? is it going to bolt to the stock timing gear? if w have to change any of these things do you or they know what parts to use. I thinking e are going to be ok since these engines already have hydraulic lifter that are pretty strong.
also with more advance timing/fuel coming in are thevalves going to work.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
the price is high for me maybe ill be able to save for it but i cant give you a yes for sure but im wondering if a diesel cam can give it that loapy sound that i loved in my 350 hi lift cam.
can a cam be designed to give us more low end as well as a higher rpm limit?

all these are questions be cause i know nothing about cam designs

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
that's an expensive cam.. if they could make one so we'd get an idea of what kind of performance increase we're getting maybe i could justify it. but if i spend 800 i better see results, thats more than a moose pump and far more than a typ4 cam. but like icanfixall said, not really sure what to suggest to improve performance via cam.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new cam design wil change many things, for the money invested we will want .450 lift, wider lobe centers, maximized intake and exhaust events and increased duration.
With so many varibles available it can get confusing.
Turbo engines will need more lobe center split, maybe less duration, earlier intake opening and later exhaust closing.
N/A will want the opposite.
What we need is a program for diesel engine to fool around with, what I know from GAS engine aint the same for 21.5:1 compression diesel.
Head modifications will need to be done if valve lift is increased, chopping the guide down so the retainer dont smack the guide! and a few more details to throw around...

Javier

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
cams wont make diesels lope, a really hot injection pump that feeds **** tons of fuel will make a diesel lope

I would love to have a cam.... in the future, im out for now, i have no money, but if these are going one day down the road i will buy one thats a promise

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thinking out loud
longer exhaust and intake periods
id say maybe slightly eariler exhaust opening in relation to tdc
a flatter lobe i guess i can say
now piston is moving fastest at 90 to the crank that means then is when the highest lift would help being its the fastest velocity of gas and best chance to move the air out
30 degrees before or after that the piston is accelerating fastest which will be the prime point to open it up
looking at the cam i got they do overlap a tad but not much now with a turbo a positive
intake pressure will mean overlap is not needed as much the intake air will push exhaust out but in a na application it may help out with more overlap displacing more exhaust air
we could open up the exhaust sooner

DragRag

Reaction score
there a few questions I have. will this new cam require different push rods, lifters, rockers, and springs? is it going to bolt to the stock timing gear? if w have to change any of these things do you or they know what parts to use. I thinking e are going to be ok since these engines already have hydraulic lifter that are pretty strong.
also with more advance timing/fuel coming in are thevalves going to work.

Not sure at this point, still need to work out the details. I will ask the grinder these questions.

DragRag

Reaction score
A new cam design wil change many things, for the money invested we will want .450 lift, wider lobe centers, maximized intake and exhaust events and increased duration.
With so many varibles available it can get confusing.
Turbo engines will need more lobe center split, maybe less duration, earlier intake opening and later exhaust closing.
N/A will want the opposite.
What we need is a program for diesel engine to fool around with, what I know from GAS engine aint the same for 21.5:1 compression diesel.
Head modifications will need to be done if valve lift is increased, chopping the guide down so the retainer don't smack the guide! and a few more details to throw around...

Javier

Thanks for the input, I will run this stuff by the guy and see what he recommends. I will only work on one cam, so it will be designed for a turbo not an N/A engine.

DragRag

Reaction score
I'm interested depending on who the grinder will be.
I had a very bad experience with a new grinder in the past with Buick 455 cams. The material was too soft and the lobes got wiped out in less than a year. This was also a custom group buy thing. Needless to say, there was a few pissed off guys and no one to make good on it.

I will ask about how hard the cam will be, but I think he will likely say that it is a roller cam so it will not be an issue at all. I see how a flat tappet would be an issue for sure though.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
I would like a cam that matches the FULL airflow potential of our engines. When I put in a cam I want plan on also putting in a new top end (heads ported for max flow / velocity, and maybe a custom intake. So I would be interested in one that :

Is designed to work with best with a fully ported heads flow numbers.
can be used with stock pistons (even with oversize valves, if plausible on heads). May (probably will) require different valve springs.

Does the price include lifters as well?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody, maybe ME! will have to get a baseline on flow specs for these Cylinder Heads we have, then we can get an Idea what lift the camshaft SHOULD be.
The OEM guy may have been right at .390 valve lift who Knows?
Until we get flow specs its *****!
My flow guy will ***** and complain the head is so heavy and he gonna make me lift that junk

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online