custom air intake size

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im planning on making a custom air intake for my truck, i have some 3in exhaust tube lying around, im just wondering if 3in tube will be big enough to keep up with the engines demand for air. what r your thoughts?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cant comment on the size, i don't see why it wouldn't work. But UNI makes good filters. They are HUGE in the offroad industry. Make filters for dirt bikes and the such.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i have those filters here at the honda shop i work at. Not a bad filter but in my opinion nothing filters better than paper baby! check out here and see what you can find. id get you a picture of my setup with a huge paper filter and 4" tubing but im at work right now and i dont have any pics of it

http://www.fleetfilter.com/

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id go with 4" and a bigger filter.

Uni does make a good filter though! The drop in filter I have is pretty much the same thing as a uni filter.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" is what i got on my turbo... seems to do just fine. gonna cut the rad support eventually and have it extend out for 'true' cold air later after it runs perfectly :D

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
id go with 5" tubing, may be a little over kill but too much is better than not enough right?
what about conduit tubing? will that still corrode?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bah, you can use exhaust pipe, it doesn't matter. Paint it inside and out though, that helps.

I used exhaust pipe for the intercooler pipes on my old TC and never had a problem with them rusting. Like I said you gotta paint the inside. With a good coat of paint they really don't rust at all.

I used 4" pipe for my intake, with a 4x3 reducer where it goes into the turbo.

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so to recap, 3in might be a bit small and i should probably get some 4in stuff? what is the size of the air inlet on the turbo?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the inlet on the turbo is actually something like 2 3/4". Why, I don't know- I actually wrapped a thin piece of aluminum around my inlet and siliconed it in place to bring it closer to 3" so the coupler wouldn't fit so loose.

This is what I did one mine- made this all out of one 90* bend plus a short straight piece. I had started working on a box to go around the filter but never finished it...will have to get to that at some point.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance