Bricknose Core support in a Slantnose front end

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the front sheet metal thrown together on my truck. I took a 85 F350 and swapped in a 7.3/ZF5. I was determined to use the core support and radiator out of my 89 donor vehicle but maintain the slant nose front end. I've seen several people mention before on Oilburners that they would like to use a 87-91 truck and bolt a 80-86 front clip on it. Here's how I would do it.....................

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29839&stc=1&d=1271476873

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29840&stc=1&d=1271476873

The gray painted parts are from the 89. The black painted parts are from the 85. The ditch for the driver side pos. battery cable is there on the top of the core support. The hood latch (from the 85) worked fine on the 89 center section after slotting one of the holes. Had to drill a couple holes for the brackets that hold the outside portions of the grill on. The upper part of the middle brace is from the 85, the bottom part is from the 89. The radiator, AC evaporator fit in there just fine. Hood clears everything just fine also.

Not sure if anyone else has gone down this road before.....

This is my first attempt at posting pictures so hopefully everything turns out OK

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 78

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct

It's essentially a 89 core support with the pieces from the 85 core support grafted on in order to accommodate mounting of the slantnose fenders, hood, and grill.

The end result for me is a slantnose front end with the big, bricknose radiator.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldnt you have just welded the bottom radiator lip from the 89 fram onto the 86?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I just did that swap a few weeks ago. I did it the real easy way though and just left the 89 core support in place as a whole. I still need to drill a couple holes and add spacers to bolt the fenders to the core support under the headlights but everything fit real well. I didn't even have to change or adjust the hood latch, it just lined up perfectly first shot I was amazed. The only bolt hole that was different is the lower rocker bolt. On the 89 they go in from the side on the 81 they went straight up. I just cut the fender and pulled the tab outward and used the factory bolt hole. :D

I didn't mess with swapping the core support as I'm using 7" round headlights and led turn/markers anyway.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
So, white trash, you put a 87-91 front clip onto a 80-86 truck?

Opposite actually. I put an 81 clip and doors on my 89. To screw it up even more I picked up a 92 cab that's going on early next winter after the main summer wheeling trips are over so I don't miss them or the snow runs next winter. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online