C6 to ZF5 Conversion questions

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
There's a guy out here selling a ZF5 and Tcase (I think it was from a 91 4x4 diesel) for around $800. I was wondering, if I bought this, what else would I need to get to swap out the C6 in my truck. Assuming (I havent spoken with the guy yet) that this tranny is complete with useable clutch and flywheel, how hard is it to "make manual what was once automatic" so to speak...

How hard is it to modify the floorboard to incorporate the clutch?

Do you need to modify the rear transmission crossmember to make the swap?

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a guy out here selling a ZF5 and Tcase (I think it was from a 91 4x4 diesel) for around $800. I was wondering, if I bought this, what else would I need to get to swap out the C6 in my truck. Assuming (I havent spoken with the guy yet) that this tranny is complete with useable clutch and flywheel, how hard is it to "make manual what was once automatic" so to speak...

How hard is it to modify the floorboard to incorporate the clutch?

Do you need to modify the rear transmission crossmember to make the swap?

the only things I can say are that your crossmember might work you would just need to drill a couple holes, and you will need the entire clutch pedal assembly from under the dash , the slave cylinder , and the trans pan for a zf5, it attaches to where the shifter knob comes outta the floor and I am 100 percent sure there is more stuff, I don't know any more, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread too

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Pedal assy, the pan would be nice, I swapped a manual column in, but you con't have to. Clutch master, line and slave cyl. I used the c6 crossmember and bolted the c9 mount to the zf to maintain driveline angles. Drive shafts worked,but the rear slip yoke is compressed almost to the limit. Wire harness from the trans. to get it to start and have back-up lights.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
floorboard doesnt have to be modded, just want to make sure you get the pedal assembly

the C6 xmember can be used but you will need to add a couple holes... no big deal if you have a drill motor

if your new tcase doesnt have a provision for the speedo cable you will also need to either swap tcases or provide for it.

im in the middle of the swap. i was lucky and was able to get most everything (except the manual column) from the donor truck... even the doghouse, shifter boots, etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing this on the Bronco soon as well. Drilling the holes for the master cylinder is probably the most difficult part. :dunno

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if you want to get technical, the "floorboard" doesn't have to be modded, but you will have to cut a hole for the gear shift lever to stick through. This hole will be in the plate in the floor which is solid with the c6, or if he will let you have it, get the plate out of the donor truck that already has the hole.

The c6 crossmember will not just "move back" and drill some holes. The lower part will, and the c6 mount will work also, so if you are alright with just using the lower crossmember, than that's it. Letting the tranny and the crossmember just sit on the lower lip of the frame was not good enough for the factory, and not good enough for me either. When you slide the lower crossmember back(the holes in the lower lip are already there) then the short upper crossmember braces will not fit. If you can get them, get the short upper crossmember pieces from the zf truck. Then everything bolts in, no drilling. You could try to redrill new holes for the old c6 upper crossmember pieces, but unless you had a small 90 degree drill, I don't know how you would get in there to do it.

You definitely need the pedal assembly. No getting around that. And you have to take the whole dash apart to do it, since the speedo cable goes right through the hole in the assembly, so the cable has to be taken loose and pulled down to get it out. I also had to drop the steering column from the dash, and push it to the side as far as I could to fish the pedal assembly down and out. My truck had a block off plate for the clutch master cylinder mounting. Take that off, and the master just bolts in, no drilling.

The wiring harness you need starts under the brake booster. On my truck is was a lime green plug. It then runs down under the truck and plugs into the tranny and the transfer case. There is a metal loop on top of the frame that holds this harness, that takes more time to get loose.

Get the zf rear driveshaft, and also take the big nut loose on the rearend and get the yoke. The zf driveshaft is shorter, has bigger u-joints, and is twice as heavy as the c6 driveshaft. You need the yoke out of the rearend so the bigger u-joints will fit.

Don't figure on using the original flywheel. You can check it out, but it's probably wore out. It has moving parts and wears just like the clutch. I have heard over 5/8 movement is no good, but the used one I got had several of the plastic pieces missing in it. I took the original flywheel apart and bolted it together, and put a new clutch in, but it's noisy.

Was it worth it? Yes. The c6 is a tough tranny, but the torque convertor they used is too loose for the diesel engine.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will also be doing this with the Crew Cab. But, I'm going to try the Russ (typ4) gasser to IDI swap. I've got 460 ZF5 and petal assembly in the Dana 60 donor that'll be converted.

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
My only hesitation for this would be the fact that the ZF5/T'case is stand alone, without a donor truck...

Perhaps I would be better off waiting for a whole truck to steal parts off of?

I debated going to the junkyards to find the clutch pedal and master assembly. I wish I could find a decent priced parts truck for this very purpose!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That reminds me. I got the flywheel from the donor truck which needed to be modified since it was wore out, but I found out the flywheel to crankshaft bolts were longer on the zf than on the c6. So I was glad I had the donor. You can get one of those conversion kits for about $750-$1000, that come with a new solid flywheel and all the new clutch pieces, but I don't know if they come with new bolts to mount it to the crankshaft.

And they tell you to use sealer on those bolts.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I'll be doing this on the Bronco soon as well. Drilling the holes for the master cylinder is probably the most difficult part. :dunno

Mel, there were dimples on the firewall where the holes go. I just took the master, found a bit that was a size bigger, and drilled away. For the big hole, I used a hole saw. Honestly it was one of the easier steps.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only hesitation for this would be the fact that the ZF5/T'case is stand alone, without a donor truck...

I debated going to the junkyards to find the clutch pedal and master assembly. I wish I could find a decent priced parts truck for this very purpose!

I bet you could find what you need from any local boneyard. The parts don't have be be from a diesel truck. The pedals, crossmember and what not are generic from gasser to diesel.

Heath

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the swap on my 86 6.9. The engines are balanced different even though the 7.3 flywheel will bolt right on with the longer bolts. Many people (including my dad) have not had a problem with this minor imbalance, but for my truck I wanted it to be 100% right so I used a 6.9 single mass 4sp flywheel and had it machined some. I had them enlarge the center out but only about a 1/4-1/2 inch deep max to clear the clutch springs but maintain the structure of the flywheel. then I bought a LUK single mass conversion replacement clutch for an 89 7.3 5 spd. and had the machine shop put that bolt pattern on the flywheel. The LUK conversion clutch is also a 12" clutch with the right amount of springs for the single mass flywheel so that nothing gets hurt. an unexpected benefit of this clutch was pedal feel it pushes twice as easy as my dads factory replacement daul mass setup which also eliminates the common problem with firewall flex in these trucks. Mine has been in the truck for over three years driven hard occationally and towing regularly and not had a problem yet. Oh be sure to use a zf clutch fork I think they are still available from ford. I like the ford fork better than the aftermarket pieces.
Alex

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what's the rest of the parts worth to ya?:D
figure out a number and add a case of Coors reg in bottles on top;p
come on over the hill and say hi;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks towcat! I am going to call the guy on this today and get some more info.

Im not sure what the parts are worth, but without a doubt I come armed with Coors! :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks towcat! I am going to call the guy on this today and get some more info.

Im not sure what the parts are worth, but without a doubt I come armed with Coors! :D
FWIW, if you go down there this evening, I'll be in the area....have to haul a couple of trailers between Palo Alto and Sunnyvale. Not sure when I'll be finished, but I'll be free afterwards...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin