C6 to ZF5 Conversion questions

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Wish I would have left work a little later yesterday, Warden... I was out at 2:00 on my way to Scotts Valley.

I left the guy a voicemail on the ZF5, but no call back yet. If he ever gets back to me, I'd like to drive out and check the thing out before I commit to it.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Bingo! Thanks:D

What about the ZF flywheel bolts, since I don't have a donor truck, where could I get these?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I had the same size bolts holding the c6 flywheel flex plate on. I compared them side by side and they where the same. I scored, my zf has a pto hyd. pump, and a luk smf. And the disc still had the luk part number on the friction surface, I think it had 500 miles on it. It was from a f-superduty rollback with a 7.3.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same size bolts holding the c6 flywheel flex plate on. I compared them side by side and they where the same. I scored, my zf has a pto hyd. pump, and a luk smf. And the disc still had the luk part number on the friction surface, I think it had 500 miles on it. It was from a f-superduty rollback with a 7.3.

So the c6/luk aftermarket flywheel bolts may be the same length. I have also heard there are two different c6 flywheel/flexplate setups. My 89 c6 setup had the heavy flywheel with the starter gear on it, and a thin sheetmetal plate that the torque converter bolted to. This c6 combo vs the stock zf flywheel, I had to use the zf flywheel bolts, they were longer.

Whatever you use, check out the bolt length before using them. You can push the original bolt through the original setup you had, and get an idea how much threads you should have sticking through on your new setup.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
So the c6/luk aftermarket flywheel bolts may be the same length. I have also heard there are two different c6 flywheel/flexplate setups. My 89 c6 setup had the heavy flywheel with the starter gear on it, and a thin sheetmetal plate that the torque converter bolted to. This c6 combo vs the stock zf flywheel, I had to use the zf flywheel bolts, they were longer.

Whatever you use, check out the bolt length before using them. You can push the original bolt through the original setup you had, and get an idea how much threads you should have sticking through on your new setup.

Agreed, Franklin2 did you use the DMF? If so that might be the difference.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats good to know! Are you happy with the SMF?
So far, I'm very happy ;Sweet The only time I get any really noticeable roll-over noise is rolling at idle with a load, and even then, I don't find it annoying. I can't give it a 100% thumbs-up, only because some people have wondered about the possibility of a SMF eventually damaging the transmission, and I've only put 40K or so on my swap...so, it's really too early to say with any authority whether it'll be good in the long term or not. However, based on my experience so far, I would strongly recommend it over a replacement DMF or a Lucky Mod.

Just my $0.02...

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
It's kind of indescribable till you hear it. Makes you wonder if you trans is going to blow. You'll get used to it.LOL No, kidding. Not that bad. It is the noise of the gears "crashing" together with the power pulses of the diesel engine. It goes away at 900 rpm and up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of indescribable till you hear it. Makes you wonder if you trans is going to blow. You'll get used to it.LOL No, kidding. Not that bad. It is the noise of the gears "crashing" together with the power pulses of the diesel engine. It goes away at 900 rpm and up.
What he said, basically. Come over the hill and I'll let you drive my truck :sly although at some point in the fairly near future, she's going to Calvin's shop and being taken out of service for a while...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I think at this point I am commited to making the swap, I'm going up saturday morning to pick this thing up.

Here is what I am getting from the guy-
ZF5 transmission
BW 1356 Transfer case
crossmember
front driveline
shifter and boot
slave cylinder
master cylinder and clutch pedal assembly

I am going to order the SMF conversion kit from www.clutchcityonline.com

Anything I am missing???

Forum statistics

Threads