Throttle cable

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My throttle cable let loose on me today...no hint of failure, I turned and started up a hill, depressed the go pedal and it went to the floor!

I put a bungee on it at 1500 RPM, cranked it up and crawled home...suprisingly, it would run about 30 MPH on flat ground, but the hills sucked! :) Just another reason to love the IDI, I continued to the top of the long grade I was climbing at an idle, but it never stopped going forward!

What are you guys paying for them? I looked up the part number in the parts bin, went to what used to be www.fordparts.com and they were like $46.00...seemed high, but isn't everything?

M

maxdiesel

NAPA has a good replacement cable I think I paid 18 or 20 bucks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have to go with mel on this one.
the stealership is the best source for the cable.
pricey though. $75.
aftermarket has had plenty of fitment problems that have been reported.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine broke I looked at the aftermarket ones but thought they looked "cheap". A friend of mine put one on his truck over a year ago and had some trouble keeping it on the post, not sure what was done to fix it but its fine now.
I had one in the shop from a truck I parted out so I just swapped that on in. I did wrap it in heat tape though since the old one was kinda melted.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
pricey though. $75.

According to the parts bin, the part number is F1TZ-9A758-E (says all years). If this is the case, and the norm is $75, the $46 asking price from Titus Will Ford is a pretty good deal. Yeah, I've done aftermarket, they usually aren't hi quality...I'll just order it from Titus as I refuse to deal with my local azzholes or I mean dealership!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott-
the part number is correct in the parts bin
i was the one who entered the data from the parts package:D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are meaning the throttle-cable from pedal to pump, when I was checking, there were several different lengths, depending on transmission type and with-or-without cruise-control.

I repaired mine myself and it now performs better than Fords idea of a throttle-cable ever did since the truck was new.

When looking into "after-market" , don't look for the generic "just like what you have" replacements, but look at "universal" replacements like for a big truck.

They are much nicer.;Sweet

Last edited by a moderator:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are meaning the throttle-cable from pedal to pump, when I was checking, there were several different lengths, depending on transmission type and with-or-without cruise-control.

I repaired mine myself and it now performs better than Fords idea of a throttle-cable ever did since the truck was new.

When looking into "after-market" , don't look for the generic "just like what you have" replacements, but look at "universal" replacements like for a big truck.

They are much nicer.;Sweet

Maybe that is where I went wrong in the past!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pricey though. $75.

The new Ford cable and the napa one come out of the same factory. When I did my truck I laid them side by side and the little logos and crimps are identical.
The older ford ones are heavier and nonexistent

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I had got one for a 90 from the parts store once, fit like crap, and barely worked.
ordered one from ford, and there was different ones for different models/years. but the one I got was correct a fit like a glove, but it was more expensive than the parts store one.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a throttle cable here from a '86 F250 regular cab that had a 6.9 in it. It's complete for the pedal to the IP with the grommet that goes through the firewall too. I was told that the 7.3 and 6.9 engine use different cables, but not sure about that. It was working great when the truck lost the engine. Let me know if interested.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bought the cable from Titus Will for $60 to the door. Stealership wanted $80 plus FedEx charges. It's in, all is well, took all of 5 minutes and a long reach! :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought the cable from Titus Will for $60 to the door. Stealership wanted $80 plus FedEx charges. It's in, all is well, took all of 5 minutes and a long reach! :)
don't throw away the green piece.
if you file down the casting flash on the sides, it's very handy to install the injector O-rings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online