hot steering column

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my steering column gets hot. it's not from the sun...has anybody had this problem? my first guess is a wiring issue...which is a little scary because it does get quite hot. not too hot to touch the outside of the column, but close.

any ideas? fwiw i do carry a fire extinguisher in both trucks:eek:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a wiring problem then it should blow a fuse unless something really wierd is wrong. A fuse shouldn't let it produce that much heat for very long before it blows.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slide switch that screws on the colum could be failing. I fried the wires from the column to the injection pump because of a bad switch on my 87 dually

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check inside the motor compartment. You may find a seal around the colume worn out at the firewall.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check inside the motor compartment. You may find a seal around the colume worn out at the firewall.

X2, mine was bad, I cut some stiff foam pieces to stuff in the bottom of the column and cured the problem

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i never thought it could be from engine heat. maybe that's why the newer trucks went to plastic columns.

i figured that a fuse would have blown if it was an electrical issue.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check the wire harness to the turn signal setup; I had that sucker near catch fire. Replaced the turn signal and the plug harness. no more smoldering harness.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just unplug the wires to the IP, and disconnect the field wire to the alternator and leave the key in the engine on position for a few hours with a battery charger attached. If it is electrical, the column will heat up. If it is due to radiant heat from the manifold then it will not. None of my trucks get a warm column, so I would think if it were radiant heat, that this would be a design consistency and they would all do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online