pulled pump & injectors

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my new pensacola pump and delphi injectors out tonight, I am sending them down to a local shop tomorrow to have them checked out. I decided to go ahead and have them go through the pump also, I dont have the patience to deal with Pensacola sending me another junk unit!

This shop is highly rated and I have seen some of their work, I am just dissapointed that I'm going to have to fork out a ton of money to get this mess fixed.:mad:

For those that have followed this, Hammerdown and I are having the same problems, shake at idle, fuel knock, etc. I'll post more about the condition of my pump and injectors when I pick them up in a couple days.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i will be interested to see what the issue is also. if you can remember i stated that i purchased a new set of injectors from pensacola diesel and the new ones(supposedly) that i installed made my engine run rough at idle and have a fuel knock on a cold engine. i think its because of a weak pump, i know your pump is remand but you dont know who it was that rebuilt it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas, where is the shop you are using?, I had some stuff done down there when I was on a work trip but cant remember the name.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vegas, where is the shop you are using?, I had some stuff done down there when I was on a work trip but cant remember the name.

Hey Russ, the shop is J&S diesel, the owners name is James. The couple of times I have been in there, he has always been very helpful with any questions I've had. I'm anxious to see whats up with this pump, I'll post back later with the results.....Kenny

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm watching this also. I'm running a Pensacola pump without any troubles and most here know how trouble:D finds me in a crowd every time....

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my new pensacola pump and delphi injectors out tonight,...
For those that have followed this, Hammerdown and I are having the same problems, shake at idle, fuel knock, etc. I'll post more about the condition of my pump and injectors when I pick them up in a couple days.

Please get back to me with the results ;Really
If infact your IP is ***** maybe you should also contact the PCD president along with me...as I intend to send mine back and get a refund!
My original 21 year old IP should be shipping to Mel tomorrow for a 'stock' rebuild. No turbe here so no need for the moose-pump.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the IP and injectors. I hate to say it.........but they may need to got on the list in the OILBURNERS HALL OF SHAME.

If you guys feel they deserve it......post them and your story their so others don't travel down the same road.:puke:

Heath

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright guys. The shop called me and said I had one injector that was leaking bad. They also said that I have the wrong pump. The pump is for a 94 with a turbo, obviously the guy at pensacola didnt know that, because he turned it up for me even more for my old 6.9 with a banks turbo, that would explain all of the smoke.
The owner of the shop said that he has found these cheap rebuilds to usually be uncalibrated, I told him I bought it because the price was right, just like the rest of us that bought from them also.
Instead of sending this pump back and hoping for the correct one to be sent, just to get another piece of crap, they are going to keep this pump and sell me a 6.9 pump off of the shelf. I dont have my old pump anymore, so I couldnt use it for a core. By the way, this new pump is 500 bucks-cuss but at least I can count on it and take this as a big lesson learned not to cut corners with cheap aftermarket crap!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Vegas... You are in way too much of a hurry to talk well of the soon to be new pump and derating the old pensacola pump. As I posted before, my pensacola pump is great and comparing it to the Moose pump is what I'm doing. True, Mel has the best pump out there but don't crap on something till you run the differant pump. You may be correct but installing a pump and injectors can be a real mess. Did this shop tell you just why the injector was spilling fuel? That could be from your dirty installation too. I'm not there to see or tell you that a piece of dirt got in when you did this job but give it a look anyway. When everything is truely investigated then and only then can the true results be looked at with what really happened. I'm sometimes embarrased to post some of my mistakes but if I can keep others from doing the same mistakes then I satisfied. Thats why we are all here year after year. New members come along with the same issues all the time. I don't get tired of reposting whats wrong. Its all new to them just like it was to me once. If pensacola is in fact at fault they should be in the hall of shame but lets see all the evidence before pronouncing sentence.... Then we get a rope....:D

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pensacola screwed up by selling me a turbo pump that they obviously didnt know was a turbo pump, so they cranked it up even more.

Second, I'm not too bothered by the bad injector, yes, I could have gotten dirt in it. I'm more upset about the fact that pensacola doesent seem to pay attention to what they are putting out.

Third, I trust this shop here in Vegas 100% and would have gone there in the first place had I had the money at the time, now I have some A/C work coming in and have the spare cash. This shop does great work and I dont mind paying for something that is done right.

I also feel however that the pensacola is putting out substandard rebuilds, I could swear that someone mentioned before that pensacola doesent rebuild them, they have it done somewhere else but I may be wrong.

Is there a better way I should have handled this? Should I have waited for Pensacola to send me another pump that may not be right? I use this truck to haul tools and air conditioning units and cannot afford to have it down right now. Minus the 300 I spent for the pensacola pump that I'll never see again, I feel I am making a good decision to be done with this mess.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.../I also feel however that the pensacola is putting out substandard rebuilds, I could swear that someone mentioned before that pensacola doesent rebuild them, they have it done somewhere else but I may be wrong.../ .
First IP was from Pensacola and filthy out of the box...Two pumps I received were dropped shipped from MWI...that was the shipping address on the box. When I contacted Pensacola president about the return of the second DB2 I was told to ship it back to Pensacola and they get help w/rebuilds from other locations. ;Really
Again, I felt deceived paying Pensacola for their rebuild yet getting a rebuilt-IP from somewhere else. That is my leverage for getting my $300 back...if they don't refund my money, I call the BBB.
The second IP from MWI had a fuel solenoid issue at times (no start) and caused vibrations in the engine> I sent it back to Florida. The IP on my 7.3 #3 starts but feels like it has a miss, vibrates, lots of ticking, clicking, clacking, hammering etc and fuel mileage is down 30+ gallons in the front tank.
I have no problem losing the return shipping charge but won't be happy about a "partial refund".:backoff

Last edited:

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First IP was from Pensacola and filthy out of the box...Two pumps I received were dropped shipped from MWI...that was the shipping address on the box. When I contacted Pensacola president about the return of the second DB2 I was told to ship it back to Pensacola and they get help w/rebuilds from other locations. ;Really
Again, I felt deceived paying Pensacola for their rebuild yet getting a rebuilt-IP from somewhere else. That is my leverage for getting my $300 back...if they don't refund my money, I call the BBB.
The second IP from MWI had a fuel solenoid issue at times (no start) and caused vibrations in the engine> I sent it back to Florida. The IP on my 7.3 #3 starts but feels like it has a miss, vibrates, lots of ticking, clicking, clacking, hammering etc and fuel mileage is down 30+ gallons in the front tank.
I have no problem losing the return shipping charge but won't be happy about a "partial refund".:backoff

This is why I prefer to buy locally and be done with this BS, I am too busy right now to have this vehicle down.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking about it this way vegas, the new pump that your getting from this local reliable shop is so good. i wonder how many pumps has been returned back to them that you yourself dont know about and that just puts you in the same unlucky spot as the returnee of a bad pump. and in hammerdowns position it doesnt sound like pensacola is the one thats turning out bad pumps it sounds like mwfi is the ones turning out bad pumps. i myself bought 8 new injectors from pensacola and i am experiencing the same issues, do i think its pensacolas fault for the way my truck is running, NO. simply because it was running fine when i first put them in and didnt start acting up until two days latter. i would have to say in the prosses of installing them trash is the culprit. i just dont see trying to give someone a bad name because you received a unlucky pump, if thats the case than every fuel injection company is guilty in some form or fashion. thats just my .02cents.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like everyone is climbing up my a-- all of a sudden! I understand where you guys are coming from, I just dont want to fool around waiting for another pump. Look at all the problems hammerdown has had, what if I get another pump from Pensacola and the fuel shutoff is jacked up and so on? Then I am down again waiting for another pump. My big beef with Pensacola is the fact that they didnt send me a 6.9 pump from something at least around the year of my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes