Hypermax cowl induction

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been thinking of rigging one of those Hypermax cowl induction setups on my truck. I've read the comments about making sure the drain tubes from the air intake at the cowl are clear to prevent water buildup. Now here's the question, where on earth do these tubes appear on a '92 and how does one clean them. There are no internal foot vents on this year ( at least none that I can find )

Thanks-----Robert

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just run some water into the cowl and see if it is draining out the bottom of the fender. When you open the cowl just check and see if there is any crud in there, mine was spotless. My air intake is about an inch off the bottem of the cowl "floor" so theres no way water can get into the intake. I've had this setup for well over a year, maybe 2 now and never had anywater in the intake. The only problem I had was in the winter there was snow covering the cowl and it made the airfilter indicator go into the red.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Since you brought it up, how does a person open up the cowl to clean it out?

You had to ask.:backoff

Take the hood off if you value your paint job, remove the cowl and then remove the fenders.:puke:
Then you can access the little rubber flappers that restrict the water flow out of the cowl. They are about 2/3rds of the way down the inside edge of the fenders.
Better to just remove them in my books.:dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can see the rubber drain in the pic i attached. this is a 93 cab (for sale by the way:D ) you can get to it by reaching around the plastic fender skirt even though you cant see it. expect it to have some crap in it. if a stick blocked flow it all backs up from there.

the only way i know to clean out the cowl is to raise the cover. i havent been able to raise a cover without scratching things up some though.....:mad:

Attachments

• CIMG2599.JPG
    CIMG2599.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 67

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Would I need to remove the parking brake mechanism to access the one on the drivers side?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't on mine, but then I have floor vents so I can't speak for AC equipped models.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i can get to my access panels i just didn't know thats what they where... i now have my speaker crossovers mounted on them.LOL i even had them off!!! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... I have an E4od with AC and getting to the drivers side vent cleanout was hell. The parking brake needed to be "moved" and those jam nuts in the friewall side of the engine compartment were not fun. Also I have to remove the cpu from both sides of the firewall. That was hell also. So don't try cleaning them that way. Just reach up under the plastic fender well cover in the back. Feel for the rubber boot thats fitted in there and squeeze it while water is running down thru it. That will be the easiest way of cleaning it out. My cleanout was most a joke but I did have plenty of crap in there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can get to my access panels i just didn't know thats what they where... i now have my speaker crossovers mounted on them.LOL i even had them off!!! LOL

Now you know that your speakers are also out in the weather. ;Really

tractorman86

Reaction score
no no i mounted the crossover for the tweeters on the cover plate and reinstalled them. so it is all sealed back up and in the cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online