Conventional Rear/ Posi ???

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about lockers????
I have a Dana 70 HD
10.5 Ring 35 spline axles and 32 spline pinion [has larger bearing]
is a Power trak or lock rite any good??
Do they make a bearing to put the smaller pinion in the rear ???
Thanks
John

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about lockers, but I do know about bearings. Generally, tapered roller bearings come in "series". Each series will have a common roller and race, but the cones come in several bores, and the cups come in several OD's.

You'll need someone with a Timken master catalog to see if there are cones available in the same series to fit your new, smaller pinion gear. (Each series is set apart in the catalog).

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont have one personally but i have only heard bad things about the power craps LOL Doubldsdiesel had a 70 locker for sale reasonably in the for sale sectoin before if interested.

i would lean toward the lock right but i thought they were all lunch box lockers (only slipping inside the carriar replacing the spider gears) i you want someting strong i would replace the whole carrier with something like a detoit if you think it will be run hard.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got a dana70HD in my 95 duallie.ive also got a power locker in it.its been in there a year now with no problems except that i gotta change the fluid every few months.it will start chattering real bad around corners when the fluid needs to be changed.its supposed to act like a limited slip during normal driving conditions and around corners,then its supposed to lock up like a locker when on the power pedal.

i wanted a locker without the lock all the time.i couldnt be happier with the power locker.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got a dana70HD in my 95 duallie.ive also got a power locker in it.its been in there a year now with no problems except that i gotta change the fluid every few months.it will start chattering real bad around corners when the fluid needs to be changed.its supposed to act like a limited slip during normal driving conditions and around corners,then its supposed to lock up like a locker when on the power pedal.

i wanted a locker without the lock all the time.i couldnt be happier with the power locker.
rich-
you got a pic of one so I can ID a strange looking rear that I have in inventory? I got a pickup dualie rear that doesn't look like a sterling 10.25 but it has a ABS port. If it is a dana70, it would really make my day. I have access to parts to do a dualie disc brake conversion only if the rear is a dana 70.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont have a picture of it but if yours is a dana 70 it should have 70 or 70HD stamped on the housing by the pinion somewhere,mine does.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
that's what's cast onto the housing. I thought it came out of a dodge since it was a dana. I've yet to see a tone ring dana for the f250/350's of the pre'99 vintage in a ford. only sterlings.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually here i went out and got a couple pictures for you.the red dot is where i believe it said 70HD on it.

Attachments

• truck 023.jpg
    truck 023.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3
  • truck 024.jpg
    truck 024.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
  • truck 025.jpg
    truck 025.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine came out of a 97 E350 mini bus,you know the limo busses.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine came out of a 97 E350 mini bus,you know the limo busses.
SOB.........
how much work did it take to graft in?
i know the Eseries rears are a couple of inches wider than the Fseries. If you were able to find a '99 you would have the disc rear with intergral drum.
thanks for the pics!!!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was the same width as my stock rear.the difference was the spring perches had to be moved in about 2 inches.had my buddy that stretched my 94 move the perches for me as he can weld to axle tubes without warping them.the junkyard i got it from was pissed cuz they sell that rear for 900 bux.but they sold it to me for 300.00 cuz they "knew"it wouldnt fit and argued with me over it.shouldve seen thier faces when i pulled in thier yard 2 hours later with that rear end in my truck :D :D :rotflmao :rotflmao

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the detroits myself. Or welding is a good cheap option depending on what you use it for. I think my truck has the sterling in it and it just blows my mind that such a huge HD diff would not have at least a limited slip in it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit TrueTrac is a gear drive LS. No special lube friction modifiers, no clutches or cones to wear out. I put one in my 10.25 and it works great. It has a higher bias ratio that the stock Ford LS and aftermarket LS's. It drives like an open diff until you need it. If you don't need a solid locker (like a Detroit or a spool) then this LS is a nice. I like it alot. Plus, it is a little cheaper than an Eaton or an Arburn LS.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.