Coolant Filter?

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Coolant Filter Installation

Here are some pictures of my coolant filter installation. The coolant filter is located where the airconditioneer compressor used to be.

I put a "T" at the water pump and relocated the vacuum-actuated stutoff valve for the heater. I installed 3 shutoff valves to isolate the coolant filter head when changing the coolant filter. (The coolant filter head is below the level of the top of the radiator, so isolation valves are useful here.) One of the valves can be used to positively shut off flow to the heater core in the summer. (The vacuum-actuated shutoff valve is known to not completely shut flow off to the heater.)

Attachments

• PA270024.jpg
    PA270024.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 24
  • PA270021.jpg
    PA270021.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PA270016.JPG
    PA270016.JPG
    971.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PA270012.jpg
    PA270012.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 23

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FORDF250HDXLT you are in desperate need of an intercooler! Holy sheet! I though I could manage without one, I was wrong. Glad I got mine installed! Huge Difference! I saw your picture and really, You don't have enough add ons under your hood yet!

Javier

yeah iv got one now.just an old pic of coolant filter.

I'll have all the parts to install my coolant filter in a few days. I've debated to put it in series or bypass. I would do it in series if works. If FORDF250HDXLT says his works on his that way I'll probably give it a shot. I can easily change it if it doesn't provide enough heat.

yup it works fine.be prepared for a loss of heat after 3-6k miles though cus the sand casting will plug it up.once you clean that out (with preferably a normal wix filter) then the filter wont get plugged and slow the coolant flow through the heater core at all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 4_1.jpg
    4_1.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 3_1.jpg
    3_1.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2_1.jpg
    2_1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a good way to tell when you need a filter change. I think I'll plumb it in series and just hold onto the other extra pieces I ordered in case I want to change it. I'm glad you said that you did it that way and that it works.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temperature Of Metal Housing Of Coolant Filter?

Could the temperature of the metal housing of the coolant filter be used to determine when the filter needs to be changed?

Does the temperature of the metal housing of the coolant filter decrease as the filter becomes plugged?

What temperature difference between the top of the radiator and the metal housing of the coolant filter might be expected when the filer is plugging up and needs to be changed?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my coolant filter on the frame rail. Unfortunately for me i didn't see any results from it. I Put 10,000 miles on mine and cut it open eagerly expecting dozens of unicorns, fairy's and even a small horse to jump out but instead found a nice clean coolant filter. Wasn't bummed about it because I just took it as it meant I already had a clean system. Still happy I installed it.