Where to buy insulating glow plug boot

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Searched the entire web and cannot find insulating glow plug boots.

Mine crumbled when installing new plugs and this seems to be a common issue. I did use a double layer of heat shrink on mine but would like to get a proper insulation boot. SURELY someone must make one or one that can be adapted.

Reaction score
FWIW, I used the female blue bullet connectors you can find at any parts store. The ones I bought came with a small piece of heatshrink built into the ends. They seem to be holding up just fine.

IF you want the OE style ones, your best bet may be ebay. U-Haul sells items like these for pretty reasonable prices, though you'll probably have to buy the whole harness.

Mike

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used the double-wall heat shrink on mine, I see no reason to change it. I will be happy to get it for anybody that needs it since I buy it locally at Baynseville Electronics.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Well that sucks! I cannot believe nobody makes these. It would be super easy to just be able to buy the boot and slip it over the wire. I 'm not losing sleep over using heatshrink but it would be nice and easier to be able to get the boot.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
you know, it wouldn't be difficult at all to cast new ones.

anybody interested if I made a few molds and did some up?

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know, it wouldn't be difficult at all to cast new ones.

anybody interested if I made a few molds and did some up?

The hole would need to be large enough to fit over the metal sleeve, then it would not seal out moisture very well IMHO.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I would if they are fairly priced. Can we see a photo? Do they already have the hole for the wire?

Pricing would depend on the material I end up using. (it will have to pass heat, resilience, and insulation tests) However polymers are cheap. It's still just a concept, gimme about a week to run a trial batch. They would have the hole cast into them, much simpler than trying to cut afterwards.

The hole would need to be large enough to fit over the metal sleeve, then it would not seal out moisture very well IMHO.

Most silicon and rubber compounds are more than elastic enough to pass a bullet connector then seal to a wire. (That's the way you make up custom spark plug wires) Equally simple would be to cast in a heatshrink sleeve. However the idea in my head would be to package it as a complete termination. Bullet connector and boot. As it will be much simpler to simply remove the old connector, and crimp on a new one, than try and remove just the boot and clean it enough to seal properly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine crumbled, and I believe that's part of the reason why I had so much trouble with the glowplug controller. My connections kept going bad on the glowplugs themselves, fooling the controller, and I am thinking the "boot" helps keep tension on the metal part of the connector so it keeps a good electrical connection to the glowplug. If I am right, I would keep that in mind during the design of the new boots. Shrinkwrap probably does put some tension on the connector to help it out.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Sounds like you sare on the right track. I am not familiar how you cast that kind of material and thought casting one with a hole would be difficult. Seems to me it stretch over the metal connector at that point you could slide on some heat shrink, shrink it and slide the boot back down and install the whole kit and caboodle.

rwelli1001

Reaction score
So what was the outcome from this discussion? Where any made and if so how has it turned out? I find myself in need of a set of boots also.

94 F250 XLT, Extended Cab, 7.3IDI Turbo, 4X4, 5 speed stick, 8 Foot bed, 215K miles

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just use bullet connectors and some heat shrink tubing.
Put a dab of spark plug boot grease in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online