Glowplug Tick tock

Camarogenius

Reaction score
When I first turn the key, my Wait to start light comes on for a few swconds, then I hear the glowplug relay ticking like a clock. I have to turn the key off and back on about three times before the tuck actually starts. Am I looking at bad Glowplugs, or a bad relay?

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing and I canged the glow plugs and it wors fine now.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Are you sure there isnt a IED in there somewhere? tick tock tick tock..... (ominous music) :D

Relay sounds good.... its working by the clock sound. Change the GPs and the problem should go away.

Scott

Reaction score
Your glow plug control unit runs on the temperture sending unit. On a hot engine the glow plug unit stays on for 7-15 seconds, on a cold engine it stays on longer. I have the specs. but don't have them handy right now, dieselman's page gives good specs. on idi and newer diesels. I just replaced my glow plug control unit for $115.00, it was bad but it wouldn't shut off so my whole charging system was affected by not allowing my batteries to charge due to the draw put on by the defective glow plug control unit. I was at a lost with the charging problem because these units usually don't put out any voltage to the glow plugs once they go bad. My last unit did this and I couldn't start the engine in cold weather because of this.Reply to EMD Diesel Power I hope you have resolve finally.